Englander 25-PDVC/55

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SJones

Dec 21, 2007
upstate NY
Hey everyone,new here to the forums and pellet stoves.Got a couple questions/concerns on my new money saver.

First it is awesome,absolutely cooks us out of the house.Just a couple things that has me bothered.Ive read threw the forums and found alot of help and just want to see if im on the right path in correcting/tweeking the stove.

Im using Energex Premium hard wood pellets ,from which ive been told by friends that use them,that they are good and pretty clean burning.Heres where concerns start.

1.Im useing a 40lb bag on setting1/2 in about 13 hours,and everything i read points me to a bag should last from like 16-24 hours.Im sure the type and quality of pellet has some to do with the times here as well.

2.My burn pot builds up alot of ashes,in like 12 hours there will be a pile that fills up half of the burn pot with black and unburned ashes and pellets.2 things come to my mind here and correct me if im wrong.It would seem logical to me that either its feeding to many pellets to fast or not getting enough air.My factory setting where 6 Low fuel feed,4 Low burn air and 1 Air on temp.After reading a few post with similar issues i took the Low fuel feed down to 5 and the Low burn air up to 5 and left Air on temp aloan on 1.At the moment it seems to be doing a whole lot better.will post later to let ya know how long a bag went.I always leave the unit on 1 feed and 2 or 3 blower,if not the paint on the walss i think will start bubbleing,lolj/k.

My only other concern and i think i know what it is but not sure.Every once in a while ill hear a little dull clunk like noice.Im not sure but could this be a pellet getting basically chopped in the top auger wehn it feeds from the hopper ?

Other than these little quirks everything else is great.Let me know what ya think and if i should put the setings back to factory or do something different,or if im wrong and the way it was burning is the way its suppose to be.

thnx for the help

SJones -

I have the same unit you do. I've heard that clunking sound too, it's just thetop auger, like Pook said... at least that's the noise I heard on mine. I changed my settings just like you did a couple of weeks ago, and am consuming about 25% less pellets.

thnx for the replies guys.I figured it was the top auger,these pellets have some pretty long pieces in them so im sure a few are catching.I made the changes lastnight at 7;30 and i still have 1/3 hopper left so im sure im gonna do better with these changes,The house is alot more comfortable now too,before i had a crazy big flame and roasted us.Now it looks more like it should be for a 1 setteing,small flickering flame.Once in a while it will get a little high when it gets a good slug of pellets.Thnx again

well it looks like the pellet consumption is ALOT better.Its just about out now so it will go ruffly 17-18 hours now on a bag and the house is so much more comfortable.Before the temp in the living room was a constant 85-90,now im at a great beer drinking temp of78-80ish,:).Much much better.Still would like the input of the guys that work at Englander to see if my settings are ok

I'm currently working on mine (same model). It is a blustery 60 in the house right now. I don't know where you're from but even 40 is good beer drinking temp!

Please keep fidgeting with your settings and posting them. I got 6 hours out of a 40 lb bag the other day so when I get this thing working again, I'll need all the fidgeting figures I can get.

By they way, that black burn may be gaskets. Mine was doing pretty terrible and I replaced some gaskets and it cleaned up a bit. Now I found a brittle vacuum hose. I am pretty sure this is the culprit of my faulty burn.

I love this stove. my only problem is that I have drunk beer and can't drive to get a vacuum hose now. guess I should drink more beer.

Check the vacuum hose to the exhaust blower and the gaskets. Also, I found my burn pot was full of ash in the side baffles. make sure those are clean so you get enough air. I have the mother of all bad burns. Mike is helping me through my problems though.

Status
Not open for further replies.