Englander 25-PDVC blower strength and more

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

abovethesink

Jan 17, 2019
Adirondacks
Hi all,

Reading this forum has been pretty valuable. I bought a home with a England Stove Works 25-PDVC pellet stove as its primary source of heat. Well, the affordable source anyway. There are electric baseboards for those who would prefer to spend $300 a month on electric.

It wasn't running so hot when I got it, but I didn't exactly know that either as I had no experience. What I have done since is basically just clean it head to toe and have kept up on it. I clean out the burn put every other day and then pull that plate out of the back probably twice a week and get in there with an ash vac. I run a hose tube down everywhere I can and use a brush to keep the soot off everything. I also just run it with the back off now so I can use air and a vacuum to get at the blowers and keep them clean too regularly. And I pull off the tee vent part and clean what I can reach in the chimney and coming out of the exhaust every couple times as well. Figuring out how to do that was the biggest improvement.

The stove gets really hot now to the point where I can only tap the top and sides which is good. Before I could hold my hand on them for a few seconds before it became uncomfortable.

The only real major incident I've had in the past couple months is the front top gasket coming loose and falling in with the pellets. It clogged up the auger, of course, but that just taught me how to pull that out so probably was a net positive in the end.

For a little while the convection blower was making an awful noise. I could get it to go away by putting pressure coming from the inside towards the cover so I wedged some metal in there while I ordered a new one. Only that bit of metal fell out like two weeks ago and the noise has stayed away. I just have never been impressed with that blower though. How strong is everyone else's? From how far away can everyone else feel the heat coming out of the front? For me it is a foot, maybe. Is that normal? If so I'm just gonna let the old blower keep on chugging until the noise comes back or it gets worse. If I can increase the heat distribution though then I'll switch it out ASAP. Let me know.

Also, any problems with running the stove all day with the back off? I can't figure why it would be an issue and it is helpful.

Thanks all.

I only have 1 friend that has one,but it probably is older than yours.Running with the back of the stove off should not be a problem,actually,in a lot of stoves,the motors run cooler,last longer.300 a month to heat house,dead of winter?Thats cheep.Others that own this stove will chime in.

Welcome to the forums abovethesink yeah the 25pdvc doesn’t really have a power house of a convection blower but it will keep plugging along as long as you keep up with the cleanings. I run all my stoves with the back panel removed. Like Bob said the motors run cooler and im always tinkering with one.

Reactions: Mt Bob
If you haven’t already try the burn pot mods . They do make one heck of a difference. By the way your doing real good if you only need to clean or scrape your burn pot plate every other day. I usually have to do mine at least once a day depending on how hard I am running it. By the sound of weather I am going to have to crank it up.