Englander 25-PDVC consumption question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

krushmoto

Jan 31, 2017
Allentown, PA
Purchased my first pellet stove and finally ran it last night. However I have a question on pellet consumption. I put in a new bag of pellets and set it at 4 for the night. When I got up in the AM it was still running but heat was lower than last night so I checked the pellet level and it was almost empty. Consumption seems kind of high. 40# in about 10 hrs running on 4.
But I will tell you it was a strong flame. Do I need to make adjustments to the settings.
Also considering I ran about 60# of pellets there was very, I mean very little ash. The ash in the ash pot is about 98% of the ash left.
9cfd5548310cb324d844a21c17d618b2.jpg 111d1c9681aba3ba73d8cafcedcb2dab.jpg

Attachments

• d351dd3f096752321b887ea6cbf71274.jpg
    d351dd3f096752321b887ea6cbf71274.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 176
Hi, Lehigh Valley neighbor!

I haven't run my 25-PVDC on a 4 for that long, but just to compare...I filled the hopper up (which is not quite a full bag), ran it on 3, and got about 14 hours of total burn time.

Hi, Lehigh Valley neighbor!

I haven't run my 25-PVDC on a 4 for that long, but just to compare...I filled the hopper up (which is not quite a full bag), ran it on 3, and got about 14 hours of total burn time.
Hey neighbor,
Well I grabbed a bag from HD. Plan on running it on 3 tonight so let's see how she does.
Thx

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

You may not need the stove for the rest of the week around here. :)

That's true. 70 even sounds nice! LOL

As per one of the other threads I changed the lower setting to 3-4-1 and installed the restrictor plate. Put in a new bag of pellets from HD and started it around 1030 on 4 for about an 1.5 hrs then lowered it 3 for about another 1.5-2 hrs but I noticed it wasn't as hot compared to the other night so put it back on 4 and went to sleep. Checked the bin around 8 and for 9.5 hrs of use I used maybe 1/3 the bin. But as I said it wasn't running as hot as the last bag from Lowes so maybe it was the pellets, settings, plate or a combination of all 3 but either way it used a whole lot less pellets this time. I think I can live w/ this type of consumption. Either way going to continue playing w/ the settings.
I'll provide another update maybe at the end of the week when temps return back to normal. Until then...

That's true. 70 even sounds nice! LOL

As per one of the other threads I changed the lower setting to 3-4-1 and installed the restrictor plate. Put in a new bag of pellets from HD and started it around 1030 on 4 for about an 1.5 hrs then lowered it 3 for about another 1.5-2 hrs but I noticed it wasn't as hot compared to the other night so put it back on 4 and went to sleep. Checked the bin around 8 and for 9.5 hrs of use I used maybe 1/3 the bin. But as I said it wasn't running as hot as the last bag from Lowes so maybe it was the pellets, settings, plate or a combination of all 3 but either way it used a whole lot less pellets this time. I think I can live w/ this type of consumption. Either way going to continue playing w/ the settings.
I'll provide another update maybe at the end of the week when temps return back to normal. Until then...
One thing you might want to try with this stove is to do the burn pot mods. It looks to me from the picture that you have the dreaded lava pile up going on which will choke the air from been pulled thru the burn plate. After people do the mod most find the the fire burn hotter with less pellets being burned. Also I have the big brother to your stove the pdv and it like the softwood pellets much better. I used to burn the Home Depot and lowes pellets and had the same issues as you are having. Now I'm buying easyblaze from a supplier in quakertown for less then the box stores. Just my opinion for what that's worth

One thing you might want to try with this stove is to do the burn pot mods. It looks to me from the picture that you have the dreaded lava pile up going on which will choke the air from been pulled thru the burn plate. After people do the mod most find the the fire burn hotter with less pellets being burned. Also I have the big brother to your stove the pdv and it like the softwood pellets much better. I used to burn the Home Depot and lowes pellets and had the same issues as you are having. Now I'm buying easyblaze from a supplier in quakertown for less then the box stores. Just my opinion for what that's worth

Cool. BTW can you point me in the direction of the mods?
I just found a guy on CL who's stove crapped out so he's selling the rest of his pellets for $3/ea. Going to get them. For that price can't go wrong.
As for the easyblaze did you get it from WH on 309? I'll keep the EB in mind for next winter.
Thanks.

Cool. BTW can you point me in the direction of the mods?
I just found a guy on CL who's stove crapped out so he's selling the rest of his pellets for $3/ea. Going to get them. For that price can't go wrong.
As for the easyblaze did you get it from WH on 309? I'll keep the EB in mind for next winter.
Thanks.
no I got them from Rob the Pellet Guy he has a web site. 250 a ton . As for the mods there are plenty on topics you can search but basically you plug the two hole under the burn plate to the left and right of the air tube. This forces all the air to be pulled thru the plate rather then channeled around the plate to come out the holes above the plate. Another mod that I did was the inlarge some of the burn plate holes in the center of the plate slightly. These modes give you more of a blast furnace then a Lacey fire that I'm sure you have now

no I got them from Rob the Pellet Guy he has a web site. 250 a ton . As for the mods there are plenty on topics you can search but basically you plug the two hole under the burn plate to the left and right of the air tube. This forces all the air to be pulled thru the plate rather then channeled around the plate to come out the holes above the plate. Another mod that I did was the inlarge some of the burn plate holes in the center of the plate slightly. These modes give you more of a blast furnace then a Lacey fire that I'm sure you have now
Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk