englander 25-pdve problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

choover

Dec 17, 2012
Central PA
First, you guys have been a great source of information for me, we just started burning pellets and so far I've been able to find everything that I've need to know to get up and running. Me and my wife enjoyed our new (but very old) stove so much we decided to update a little and give our original one to her parents. We started out with a 1995 25-pdv, it works great, real behemoth of a thing. I found a newer 2005 25-pdve pretty cheep and we got it, even came with a spare 2002ish stove. I figure I can pull the motors out and rebuild them to keep us up and running. The guys I got if from said that it heat exchanger is cracked on the spare so it shouldn't be used anymore. I've yet to verify that.

That's not my problem though... Our new stove either works too well or isn't working right. Running on 1 3 and a bottom setting of 1 3 1 its still producing way too much heat. At first I though I just didn't clean it enough so I cleaned it again, unless I missed some magical way of cleaning out the exchanger I'm not seeing anything more that I can clean up. Next I did a reset on the board per your guys instructions, bottom three came back as 6 4 1 and a heat setting of A (if that's what that's called) which I changed to D. I've since adjusted the bottom three back down to what I have them, though I can only really test things out for a few hrs before I have to shut down due to the temp in the house. On the old stove when set on low it would burn real good when it dumped more fuel and then die out for a little and repeat, above the window on the stove being around 200 degrees when checked with my infrared thermometer. The new stove has a pretty decent fire all the time and the same place on the stove is more like 300-400 degrees. If I really let it go its been up over 600, which I'm not really comfortable with. I could touch the top of the old one when it was running, I wouldn't even think of doing that with this one.

The other morning I emptied the hopper and pulled out the restrictor plate (it was as closed as it could be) and drilled another hole in it to close it off even more. Didn't seem to make much difference. One of my theories is that its getting too much fuel. Watching the bottom feed it seemed like it was moving too fast, I was counting maybe 2 to 2.5 rpm, don't really have a good way of watching the top. Its possible that the people before me put in the wrong parts... need to pull the back tonight and check the labels.

The other thing its doing that I'm not sure about is the auto startup. Its one of the main reasons we upgraded. Right now if you press the on button it will start feeding and get a nice fire going but by the time its burning the burn pot is full of pellets a good inch deep. This produces a huge fire, the second time I let it auto start up it was pushing un-burned pellets out the front of the burn pot. My first guess for this is the ignitor is just bad so I've been manually lighting it. But having no idea how exactly that works I'm not sure, this may be another symptom of my over feeding. I was also thinking maybe its the thermostat? This start up has been leaving a lot of ash in the burn pot also, the old stove would blow the ash out pretty quickly such that when you shut it down there wouldn't be much in it to clean up, just scraping off the carbon. This one I'm using my putty knife to scoop it out, probably a good quarter to half cup in there.

At this point I'm open to things to try or you guys just telling me that this is the way it works. I have an EE degree and was tempted to pull the scope out and take a look at what the control board is doing but there are a a lot of things going on at once in this thing. If that's the kind of info we need to get the thing running right just say the word and I'll start probing (or pounding with the sledge either works ;))

I am going to assume that your stove is a pdvc since I cannot find a pdve when I search for it. Both top and bottom augers should be 1 RPM. If the bottom one is faster, it doesn't hurt much but may cause the fire to go big-small in cycles. If the top auger is too fast you will get overfeed of pellets and big fire all the time. You can run the motors with the stove in test mode, but be sure you empty the hopper first. This will allow you to accurately observe the RPM of the top rotor.

Englander does (or did) make a 25-PDVE....it's the same as the PDV. Not sure what the "E" on the end means, though.....maybe Mike H. will see this thread and comment.

But I think Harvey has figured out your issue....if you're augers are really turning at 2 - 2.5 rpm, that's at least twice as fast as normal. Just look at Englander's website under "parts" for your unit....the 25-PDV is supposed to have a 1 RPM motor on both augers.

If your augers truly ARE turning at the higher speed you mentioned, that is your issue. Someone in the past replaced them w/ the wrong ones.

Its a 25-pdve, I was kinda hoping someone around here could tell me what the e was for at some point but that's secondary to getting things running. I removed all the pellets and fired up test mode, top was going maybe 4-5 rpm, at that point I didn't even check the bottom. I pulled my spares from the old stove and installed them. Rest the board again, dumped the pellets back in and pressed the on button, start up was much more reasonable, and the fire is doing more what I expect so I think that was my problem.

I'm attaching an image of the offending parts, though I can't figure out if one is the right thing or not. It would be nice because the one that I put in sounds like it need some reconditioning or just replaced... Its a Merkle Korff 4515ui-050, the ones I put in are Merkle Korff 4515ui-063. The one site I saw the 050 part number listed it as a replacement for the 063, can any of you guys confirm that?
The other bigger is a Gleason Avery A904. The spec for it is 4rpm so it definitely not for my stove, I guess that ones going on ebay hopefully someone else can use it...

Ok poked around on the forum a little and I think I found the answer, should have done that before writing up all of this... The Merkle Korff are the same things at least there are other 25-pdv users that have them. The Gleason is for a Harmon which kinda makes sense, one of there dealers was servicing this stove before I got it and they were kinda clueless about any specifics on it.

Attachments

• IMAG0201.jpg
    IMAG0201.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 191
Status
Not open for further replies.