Englander 25-PVDC auto ignite problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trackman603

Hearth Supporter
Nov 15, 2008
Central Connecticut
Hi,

I just bought and installed an Englander 25-PDVC pellet stove last week so I am new to this forum. I bought the stove from someone that was moving. Everything installed ok and the stove works very well. The only problem I have is that the auto-ignite does not work.

I have read the directions and it looks like I should just be able to hit on, make sure the settings are on 5 and that after 13 or so minutes it should start. I keep getting the E-2 error. I made sure that the burn pot was cleaned out and everything seems to be working fine when I manually start it. I noticed that there is a little hole in the burn pot that gets red when i turn it on so I assume thats the auto igniter. I also noticed that this is slightly recessed, probably like an 1/8". Is this supposed to be like this or should it be flush with the burn pot. I see everyone saying how easy the stove is to start so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

The ignitor placement sounds correct. You need to really make sure the hole where the ignitor is is very clean. Take a small screwdriver and make sure all of the ash or carbon is off of it, and it should work fine. Having said that, I prefer lighting mine manaully because it's faster than the auto ignite.

I had the same problem. I took a handful of pellets and placed them in front of the ignitor
hole to give the stove a head start. Everything worked fine and at times I still use the handful procedure.
My problem was that some of my pellets were damp (torn bag). No problems since.

As wellsme said, if you're going to use the auto ignite, I would throw a small handful of pellets in front of the igniter before pushing the "ON" button. But I also do not use the auto ignite anymore as I too have found the manual method faster and without the smoke during startup.

as i understand it, you can't totally start these stoves entirely manually. By placing a handful of pellets in the burn pot and igniting with a lighter, you still need to turn the machine on. doing so still activates the auto ignitor. All that said, I would like to start it without the ignitor, but without physically removing it. That way i could prolong the life of the ignitor, for my wife to use. Does anyone know a way to bypass it?

Justin,

I unplugged my ignitor from the control board. You just need to unplug the two white wires and you're done.

hmmm. I would consider interupting one of the white wires with a simple cheap toggle switch from radioshack, and mount it on the back panel. Would need to know thw amperage draw going thru to the ignitor though. should be easy enough to get that info.

That's certainly an option, but before you buy anything show your wife how to light it manually. My wife didn't mind doing it manaully because it meant heat sooner :)

Question: After the ignitor sets the pellets on fire does it turn off, or does it stay on? Can't tell once fire starts.

the auto ignotor stays on for the duration of the "start up" cycle, which according to the manual that lasts 20 minutes. So that is 20 minutes of higher amperage draw that is not needed, and also adds uneeded wear and tear on the ignitor, which can wear out.

Status
Not open for further replies.