Englander 25PVDC How to Turn it Down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rneal55555

Nov 29, 2014
Milton, NH
OK with the increase in the Price of oil I am making another attempt at the Pellet Stove. All seem well I did have a spurious shut down last night. Not sure of the cause but it's not my real concern right now.

My issue is that I the stove over heats the house we live in a small ranch style Log Home and am heating about 1400 Sq Ft. When I run the stove I have the feed down to 1 and am playing with the blower speed I just moved to 1. The bottom 3 are set to 2-2-1 I haven't down anything with them this time I was however messing with this last time I try yo use it the 3 or 4 years ago and with the then price of oil it was easier to just use it. So I cleaned the stove and relegated it to back up status. With the current price of oil I'm going to try again.

Yesterday wasn't to bad but the outside temp was right at zero all day. Today with a more normal day in the mif to upper 20's running on 1-5 it's 84 in the living room (where the stove is) and about 74-74 in the far ends of the house.

Not sure it matters but I don't have outside air and it vents (3") into a Masonry Chimney (previously used by a wood stove) without a liner.

From the manual.
This could and should stop the house from getting too warm

Thermostat An external wall thermostat (such as our Part # PU-DTSTAT) can be used on our pellet units, as long as it is a low-voltage type that works with millivolt systems. After unplugging the unit, locate the jumper wire (J-18) on the bottom of the control panel. The two screws should then be loosened and the jumper wire removed from the board. Next, the two thermostat lead wires should be slipped into these openings and the screws tightened; the jumper wire should be saved for future operation without a thermostat. The unit will operate differently once the wall thermostat is connected – we recommend the Control Board be set at “9” on Heat Range and Blower Speed while using the thermostat. Refer to the section on “Start-up Procedure” for information on cold starts

Absolutely add a thermostat. It is a true set it and forget it that will change your world. Also, make sure your top auger is only running at 1rpm. A few years back stoves were mistakenly sent out with 2rpm upper auger motors that would supply WAY to many pellets and over heat the stove/house. I too have a 25pdv and heat 1400Sq'. Mine was one of the units with the wrong motor speed and it cooked us until we changed the motor. Now it is perfect. The lower motors speed is not important, all it does is deliver the pellets supplied by the top auger to the burn pot. The upper auger is the metering device controlled by the board.

If he is running the stove at 1-1
How will a thermostat help?
It can't get any lower than that, and it has no provision to restart from off,
unless I am missing something about that stove.
Like the one I have..

Dan

Reactions: Mt Bob
If he is running that low and the house still gets too hot
then he should only use the stove when necessary.
His house must be very tight and well insulated

Pete, you are correct. If he is running 1-1 a thermostat won't help. That's why he needs to check his top auger rpm to verify it is 1rpm. The thermostat will make life more enjoyable tho. I set the magic buttons at the lowest fuel feed to keep a 1" flame when my Stat is not calling for heat.
RNeal, what does your flame look like when magic buttons are 2-2-1 and heat 1? Should be just above smolder. Anything more and you have a feed issue.

Pete, you are correct. If he is running 1-1 a thermostat won't help. That's why he needs to check his top auger rpm to verify it is 1rpm. The thermostat will make life more enjoyable tho. I set the magic buttons at the lowest fuel feed to keep a 1" flame when my Stat is not calling for heat.
RNeal, what does your flame look like when magic buttons are 2-2-1 and heat 1? Should be just above smolder. Anything more and you have a feed issue.
Thinking the same about flame height when changing settings ??

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check the Auger Motor speed, the flame never really goes that low.

The way I checked mine was to unplug stove, remove the back cover, disconnect both wires to top auger motor. Empty hopper completely, take sharpie and put mark on auger. Make a test wire from an old lamp cord and crimp female spade ends on it. Place these crimp ends on motor and plug in. Time the auger until the mark appears. Should b 1 revolution per minute.
Mine was 2rpm and it would run me out of the house! Stove got very hot too!

Reactions: gfreek
Oh, don't time under normal operation. The control board turns it off/on to meter the fuel. There is a way to put the stove in diagnosis mode and the motor will run continuously. Don't remember how to do that. The lamp cord is easy enough.

I think we have found the issue it appears that both motors are essentially 2 RPM motors, I get a full revolution on both at about 35 seconds. Unless I'm missing something I should be able to replace just the upper and let the lower be.

Yep. The lower auger speed is irrelevant. If u can get thru to englander customer service, they should send u a replacement. They are aware of this issue

With a new motor, u will love your stove.

This is correct but again, the lower auger is simply a delivery device. It will only deliver the pellets supplied by the upper auger controlled by the control board. I've been running a 1 rpm top and 2rpm lower for years.

OK I have found several available online with a huge range of prices, but sometimes you get what you pay for, any particular vendors I should maybe stay away from or head too.

Not a whole lot of differences,lately,from what I have seen. England's will be high, my favorite place ,Mountainview, prices have climbed drastically, so I have been using Earth Sense Energy Systems, and it looks like Endland auger motors are on sale right now. Pick the price you want to pay, but they are good to deal with,and stand behind their products.

I only buy from earth sense energy. Aka pellethead. Excellent service and parts. I would first get ahold of englander cust service. They should send one free of charge. Unless you need it fast. May take some time to get thru to englander. Keep trying you will eventually get thru. They will most likely have u put the stove in maint mode and time the thing again. They did for me. They are aware this was a problem a couple years ago.

I only buy from earth sense energy. Aka pellethead. Excellent service and parts. I would first get ahold of englander cust service. They should send one free of charge. Unless you need it fast. May take some time to get thru to englander. Keep trying you will eventually get thru. They will most likely have u put the stove in maint mode and time the thing again. They did for me. They are aware this was a problem a couple years ago.
Yep,last 2 years Pellethead has really come alive with parts and service.

This is the thread I started when I found my incorrect auger motor. Anything look familiar??

Ok new motor installed and now I have to learn how to use this thing all over again. Contemplating where to start, at on time I adjusted the plate in the hopper to slow things down I guess I should open it up and then there are the 3 button settings probably go to 5-5-1 and see how it goes.

FWIW the way I tested the upper auger speed was to just attach the wires for the lower auger to the upper motor and push the on button, which supplied uninterrupted power to the upper motor. I timed it for one revolution pushed the off button and disconnected the power leads and plugged them in to the lower motor to clear the few pellets it feed while timing.

Just wanted to follow up, stove has been running since Saturday I'm able to turn it up or down to keep things warm and comfortable, it absolutely amazes me.

Only two problems left which kind of pellets to by this time of years it seems there are two choices Fireside Ultra at Home Depot and the Hardwood ones from Tractor Supply. I have a few of each left from a couple years ago doesn't seem to be a lot of difference.

Second is what to do with the Harmon P38++ i picked up a couple years ago got it for $100 off Craigslist (non Running) with the price of oil the past few years I didn't have much incentive to get it running I was going to replace the Englander with it and still may although now that I'm not driving myself out of the house it doesn't seem as important. Decisions Decisions.

Anyways thanks for the Help.