Englander 30-NC install clearance question.... Brother bart?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakislayer

Oct 4, 2008
Pasadena MD
Okay -- I'm installing my Englander 30-NC with a duravent chimney and double walled stove pipe by duravent...

Here is the question... in my englander book I'm looking at the clearances from the stove to the wall (Listed as "B" -- 5") and the clearances from wall to pipe (Listed as "C" -- 7").... Okay -- here is my question... my Englander has the rear heat shield welded on. My question is this.... for my "B" measurement -- am I measuring from the wall the back of the stove? or from the wall to the back of the rear heat shield?

I have 8" from the wall to the double walled stove pipe (which is within specs) -- if I'm measuring from wall the back of the stove I'm at 6" (again within specs). However, if I'm measuring fom the wall to the back of the heat shield I'm only at 4"..... GOD I hope my clearances are from the wall to the back of the stove and not the rear heatshield!

The directions from Englander in the manual are a bit confusing on this.....

Thanks in advance.... I'm hoping I'm good -- if not, what are my options? Black stove pipe offset?

MIke

Not what you want to hear but the "B" measurement is from the heat shield to the wall as shown on page six of the manual. If your inside pipe is straight up to the ceiling I would do the offset somewhere above the first section of pipe rather than at the flue collar.

I had to do an offset when I changed stoves Mike. At first I resisted the idea, but it turned out to be no big deal and works great.

Attachments

• 45_offset.jpg
    45_offset.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 410
okay -- dang it.... oh well -- it is what it is.... Heres a question... double wall pipe only comes in 45 degree offsets... obviously I need two.... Can they go right together? or do I need a small piece of pipe between them? Also -- where is a chart for how much I gain with the offsets? I know with the triple wall chimney this is a chart -- what about the double wall stuff?

How much are they?

Yes, you can use back to back 45 deg elbows for a short offset of 5 3/4". This is from the Simpson catalog:

Attachments

• 45-elbow.jpg
    45-elbow.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 370
  • 45-chart.jpg
    45-chart.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 441
Okay -- so I'll do the 45 degree offsets and that will move the stove out about 5"..... Now -- Bro Bart said not to do the offset right at the flue collar, but the picture right below shows that being done..... does it really matter? What are the advantages either way?

A lot of people do it right off the flue collar. I just don't like a restriction that early in the flow. Nothing scientific and it might not make any difference. Just personal preference.

It may depend on the stove and flue. For ours it's not an issue. We have good draft on a straight up interior pipe. I had a draft damper in the prior install and figured a little restriction might not be a bad thing. If you have good flue height and a telescoping connector pipe, I'd try it. You can always add a stub later if not satisfied.

I ordered the two 45 degree offsets and hopefully will get them by this weekend..... I have the hearth pretty much done (made out of 2x4's with 3/4 plywood, 3/4 Micor 300, 1/2 Hardibacker) I'm just waiting on the 1.5" granite slap to be cut. I should get that later this week.... and it's FREE!

This past weekend (with help for this forum and my cousin) I got my duravent triple walled chimney run straight up and out the top of the roof. Just barely made it as the hole was only about 6" from the peak. Mother Nature was nice enough to test the install and I'm happy to report no leaks when it rained....

However -- I did lose a soldier during the install...... A 7/12 pitch roof, a 12' drop onto a stone patio table was too much for my cousins FULL Miller LIght...... It rolled off the roof and exploded..... Believe me -- it was missed.... we had 60 seconds of silence in his honor -- then cracked another.

All kidding aside -- I cant wait to get the granite and my stove pipe offsets. The stove is sitting neck to the hearth ready to rock and roll.... I've hear so many good things about the Englander 30-NC I'm anxious to see it in action... My chimney has 15 feet of triple walled duravent and about 5' of double walled stove pipe.... I hope I'll get a nice draft with that.....

Status
Not open for further replies.