Englander 30-NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tylerlaughman

Aug 31, 2015
Ky
So i got the englander nc 30 today with advice from here. I cant seem to get started it flames up nice with door open but as soon as i close it it goes out. Any input seasoned wood 15 % moister straight flue 15 feet no extra dampener . Ive been working with it for 2 hours . It is about 65 here so may not have good draft just trying to cure paint get smell out

U got the damper open? Probably just too warm leave the door cracked or just wait for cooler weather. I never noticed the paint smell with mine anyway.

Reactions: Tylerlaughman
My bet: 65 degrees and only a 15' chimney.

On the other hand, great time to burn the paint off! I would just leave the door slightly open, keep an eye on temps and see if that works.

Good luck!

My bet: 65 degrees and only a 15' chimney.

Second that plus some new stoves have moisture in the firebricks that needs to be driven out. Make also sure the baffle is placed correctly -> pushed all the way to the back.

^^agreed. We had a ton of moisture in our stove's firebrick on our first burns. Even got some dripping come out of the stove. Water and fire don't go well together.

Leave the door cracked for the twenty minutes like the manual says. You didn't use it to start the fire did you?. >>

Yeah the pipe is a tad short to be getting a good draft going at 65 degrees outside Probably cooler in the house than it is outside and that ain't a formula for good draft.

PS: The bricks in the 30 are ceramic not pumice like some stoves. There ain't no moisture in the things.

Leave the door cracked for the twenty minutes like the manual says.
does it really say 20 mins? That seems really long to me I know i have a totally different stove but if i did that i would have the pipe glowing in 20 mins.

Yeah it says it. But it doesn't take that long.

Reactions: bholler
does it really say 20 mins? That seems really long to me I know i have a totally different stove but if i did that i would have the pipe glowing in 20 mins.
From a cold start, it is possible to take 20 minutes, sometimes more.

From a cold start, it is possible to take 20 minutes, sometimes more.
Wow i can only leave by door open 5 mins i am over heating by 10 mins and i would be destroying stuff at 20 mins. That is when temps outside are lower. But then again i have never burnt a 30 so i dont know

Last edited:
The time will depend on the chimney draft, outdoor temps, quality of kindling and operator. We usually have the door closed 3-5 minutes after starting but we have exceptionally good dry kindling, strong draft and usually are not burning until it gets into the 40s outside. This is with a traditional newspaper start. With a chunk of a SuperCedar I can usually close the door shortly after ignition. Operator skill can also come into play. My wife can have slower starts often because she doesn't allow enough air through the kindling and sometimes ignores that the air is coming from the front of the stove. East/West starts are harder.

For E/W starting one will get faster starts by laying down two sleeper pieces N/S a few inches apart before putting on the E/W pieces. This lets air get under the fire. The sleepers don't need to be very thick, 1" works well.

Hi Tyler I just went through this a couple days ago. Mine was super slow to start with almost no draft. I was really thinking it was a pos when it finally took off. Once it gets going though its really amazing. I burned a couple hot loads in mine with the doors and windows open to get rid of the smell.

Thanks guys i cant realy see the draft control work its not easily visible but does make a slight. Difference when moved all in and out. I left door open for like an hour with draft open all the way when i shut door flames go out. I did finally just leave it shut and the flames did eventually kick back up prob better draft after got hot. There wernt a lot of flame but got hot enough for us as it was like 65 out already lol . I didnt get any smoke out of flue but may seal stove pipe up for improved draft or add some more Feet to it. But prob. Just a learning curve from the older stove. And the warm outside temp

Could be the wood is not fully seasoned too. This stove will be fussier about having dry wood than the old one. If the wood is hickory or oak it needs a couple years after being split and stacked to dry out fully. Try the next fire using dry 2x4 construction scraps added, splitting some in half into 2x2s.

Ya it didn't get going yet. Once it gets going your gonna be saying wow amazing and stuff like that.

So i got the englander nc 30 today with advice from here. I cant seem to get started it flames up nice with door open but as soon as i close it it goes out. Any input seasoned wood 15 % moister straight flue 15 feet no extra dampener . Ive been working with it for 2 hours . It is about 65 here so may not have good draft just trying to cure paint get smell out
Tyler,

Welcome to the world of the NC30! I really love mine and have roughly the same height chimney as you.Its great in the cold but mine pretty much will not draft when its above 55° outside.. cole startup is also a slow process compared to my old smoke dragon, but I can literally light it once and let it go for weeks without another cold start. still learning as last season was my first but I really do like the amount heat it throws out.

Reactions: Longsnowsm
I tested the wood begreen as i was warned about wetter wood in these moister test in logs i put in was 15% to 8% moister all oak . But il try using scraps i have a lot in the garage anyways. Thanks jazzberry and spamsonite im sure it will be fine i researched before i bought and everyone seemed to love the nc 30. When it actually gets cold il post a pic or vid and let you guys see how it goes .

I just checked the weather for the next 10 days in Louisville. Looks like it is going to be pretty warm until October. Enjoy it while you've got it.

I had done some chimney changes a few years ago on the 30 in September and as always had to fire it up to smoke check the pipe. Forgot my first rule of not ever leaving the room with a stove door cracked and went outside to look at what was coming out of the chimney and saw nothing. Came back in and found it all. In the whole first floor of the house. ;em

Reactions: Highbeam
Wow i can only leave by door open 5 mins i am over heating by 10 mins and i would be destroying stuff at 20 mins. That is when temps outside are lower. But then again i have never burnt a 30 so i dont know
I spaced and was thinking 20 mins plus, with door closed. I never leave the door open.
I can see much less than 20 mins with door open, unless the wood is crap to start with.

I spaced and was thinking 20 mins plus, with door closed. I never leave the door open.
I can see much less than 20 mins with door open, unless the wood is crap to start with.
Ok that makes sense then. Mine is normally 20 to 30 mins with the door closed till it is time to start shutting it down.

On a cold start, unless you start top down, it can take that long. With Ben's stove too. You two just don't realize how short twenty minutes is firing up a cold stove.

On a cold start, unless you start top down, it can take that long. With Ben's stove too. You two just don't realize how short twenty minutes is firing up a cold stove.
Absolutely it was just the open door thing that got me we are all on the same page now. I just think door cracked for 20 mins is scary and asking for trouble. Unless it is warm out and you have no draft that is. In that case i doubt you are going to be able to over fire it.

Status
Not open for further replies.