Englander 30NC clearance to combustibles?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CenterTree

Minister of Fire
Sep 15, 2008
SouthWest-Central PA

On page 5 of the 30NC manual it states the clearances to combustibles as below:

Side and Rear shields, single wall chimney connector: = 19-in

Side and Rear shields, double wall connector: = 20-in

My question is, why would a set up with DOUBLE wall require more side clearance that a setup with SINGLE wall?

The stove body is the same either way, right??

--------------------

Also, I do not see listed any side clearances for a stove that has NO side heat shields. Mine has a rear shield only.
Since the side shields are an OPTION, why wouldn't the manual notate the info for a standard unit that has no side shields?

I would imagine the clearance should increase, (with no side shields) but by how much?

Thanks!! :)

Attachments

• 30-NC.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 284
Yes, I've asked for a clarification of this section in the past. The rear-shield only case does not seem to be covered in the table. Mike told us that the clearances are as tested. The stove may have run a bit hotter with the double-wall pipe connected. Call Englander support or PM Mike to see if they have tested clearances for the rear shield only.

OK, thanks.

Really, I don't see how they would ever sell any side shields if there seems to be NO gain in distance to combustibles.
:confused: (per the manual's chart)

Attachments

• 30NCb.jpg
    30NCb.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 173
Side shields + rear shield greatly reduces the rear clearance.

I have 19" flue pipe to rear wall, Double wall flue. I have about 36" to a side I/2 wall ( book case than is now a wood storage rack) other side is wide open. side heat shields would reduce the 30" a bit ( think they about a $250 add on)

Attachments

• all pics 099.jpg
    all pics 099.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 188
  • all pics 100.jpg
    all pics 100.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 188
Status
Not open for further replies.