Englander 30NC First fire (Pics added)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoon

Oct 2, 2009
Southwest Missouri
I got it done today. I am very impressed with the heat this monster produces. I think I will go ahead and order a blower to try to circulate the heat a little better around the house. Thanks for all your help.

Pictures or it didn't happen! :)

Here is the proof. Loving every minute of it.

Fire1.jpg

fire2.jpg

fire3.jpg

fire4.jpg

fire5.jpg

Hey you finished that up pretty quick Spoon ...nice burn you have there.

Man those are some nice flames. Hope you don't mind me saying so, but I think I would be a little uncomfortable with the carpet in front of that stove. A buddy of mine put a tire pad in front of his for extra protection. I think I would put something extra in the front with your set up just in case a piece of coal wanted to pop out when reloading etc. I know I have had some want to come out pretty far with mine.

stoveguy2esw said:
you didnt take the protective coating off the lip trim. the blue film peels off

I sure did, I noticed it about the time the stove got up to temperature. I will keep wipng the stuff off .

Corriewf said:
Man those are some nice flames. Hope you don't mind me saying so, but I think I would be a little uncomfortable with the carpet in front of that stove. A buddy of mine put a tire pad in front of his for extra protection. I think I would put something extra in the front with your set up just in case a piece of coal wanted to pop out when reloading etc. I know I have had some want to come out pretty far with mine.

The tile under the stove has yet to get over 100 degrees, but I will watch the carpet. I will probably get one of the hearth rugs to put in fron of it just in case.

Looking good. A hearth rug would be a good idea, I've had coals pop out of my stoves 3' or 4' before.

i guess im old fashoined but i see alot of people scoff at the looks of englander stoves compared to their fancy designed decorative units ,but to me the plain utilitarian look is classy and not loud ..it looks the way a wood stove should look. nice install

Spoon said:
stoveguy2esw said:
you didnt take the protective coating off the lip trim. the blue film peels off

I sure did, I noticed it about the time the stove got up to temperature. I will keep wipng the stuff off .

You can also pull the trim pieces off entirely if you like. They are just kept on by the spring tension of the trim itself...grab one end and pull away from the stove (gently).

Spoon said:
I got it done today. I am very impressed with the heat this monster produces. I think I will go ahead and order a blower to try to circulate the heat a little better around the house. Thanks for all your help.

Spoon, those flames look menacing. :vampire:
I would love to hear a follow up on how you like the stove after a while. The 30 is at the top of my short list, when I get around to redoing the stove room, and these posts on the 30 just enforce my belief that it would be the best bang for the buck while also keeping my house nice and warm.

lexybird said:
i guess im old fashoined but i see alot of people scoff at the looks of englander stoves compared to their fancy designed decorative units ,but to me the plain utilitarian look is classy and not loud ..it looks the way a wood stove should look. nice install

well said

Nice! Thanks for the pics. That's some serious fire. What were you burning?

Nice Install! Super pics, too. When I need a stove - it'll be an NC13. So much bang for buck there.

Here's a question for you Englander owners...the door handle seems too long to me - can you slide the wire coil more onto rod (appears shorter)...or does it get too hot to hand touch?

BeGreen said:
Nice! Thanks for the pics. That's some serious fire. What were you burning?

I was burning some red oak. Pretty well seasoned. It did sizzle for about 10 mins after I first put it on. After that nothing else.

dougand3 said:
Nice Install! Super pics, too. When I need a stove - it'll be an NC13. So much bang for buck there.

Here's a question for you Englander owners...the door handle seems too long to me - can you slide the wire coil more onto rod (appears shorter)...or does it get too hot to hand touch?

I initally moved it up further, but decided to make it a little longer.

Spoon said:
Corriewf said:

The tile under the stove has yet to get over 100 degrees, but I will watch the carpet. I will probably get one of the hearth rugs to put in fron of it just in case.

It's not the temps you have to worry about, your fine on clearance probably, it's the coals. Just today I went to pack her up before heading off to bed and one charred small log actually fell out. I got pieces all over my hearth from it. I have hardwood in front of my tiles and I keep a close eye. With that carpet a couple little coals will burn it up fast. A mat might not look all that pretty but burn holes in carpet will look worse. ;)

I think the NC-30 should be on everyones list along with the NC-13. I had a Quadrafire 4300 ST older model, A Homestead by Hearthstone my excessive draft problems and a defective ashpan caused damage. The englander stoves just burn right and put out tons of heat without GIZMOS, REFRACTORIES, or complications. It would be under 300.00 to replace every part. It just burns STUFF!!!!:)

Another thought When learning to burn wood and learn your chimney system why risk a 3,000 dollar investment to learn to burn. It only take 1 overfire to void warranties. I have learn't so much here and have realized that price isn't everything

Status
Not open for further replies.