englander 55shp single auger running hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DOUG58

Apr 12, 2011
SOUTHEASTERN PA
Hi guys I have an Englander 55shp that i have had since 2011 and have had no problems with until this year. that had a problem with the auger motor and i had a back burn into the hopper. No real damage but it sure did make a mess inside the stove. I got that all cleaned up and replaced the auger motor and all the gaskets. (glass, hopper, ash pan, door) got it fired up and it ran and fed the pellets but it would get real hot and make some noises I never heard before from the auger. Then I noticed i couldn't hear the room blower running. So I shut it down and checked it out. I hot wired the the room blower and it seemed to run fine but when i pulled it out to check it i noticed the air intake was almost completely clogged with dust so i cleaned it out real good and replaced the gaskets on it and reinstalled it. Then i pulled the exhaust blower and cleaned it up real good and put new gaskets on it as well. then I did a deep dive cleaning on the rest of the stove did the leaf blower trick pulled the 2 plates off behind the ash pan and cleaned everything in there as best as i could. Now it runs too good I have it on one and it is running hot. it seem like I have it set up real high. the room blower is running fine and I can feel good air coming out the front which I couldn't before. The noises from the auger have stopped.but I am going through over 2 bags of pellets a day and it is only running for about 18 hrs a day. Before all of this i would get roughly 1 bag a day on the 1st setting running it all day. I checked the new Auger motor speed and it is 2 RPM right where it should be. I'm thinking maybe the controller is bad from the other issues I have had but I thought I would post this to see if there were something I'm missing

Morning Doug58 welcome to the forums. I think you missed a few digits in your stove model. 55shp???? If you can post them we’ll know what stove we are dealing with. Where did the new auger motor com from? OEM Aftermarket?

You timed the auger to ensure its 2rpm? What other issues have you had with it? Some of the motors from aftermarket sellers are using the oem part numbers and they are not actually the true rpm’s some from ESES/pellethead are 2.4rpm and that will overfeed the stove.

Ok good you got a good motor. What are the bottom 3 settings at while on heat setting 1?

Have you tried Resetting the stove to factory specs?

I'm going to point you to ESW tech support. call first thing in the morning it will be the least waiting time. I think you have an issue with your control board.

the settings on ALL englander stoves are changeable by the consumer. they just don't want you to unless instructed. but yours is set as low as i would have you set them, with an over feed issue.