Englander Add-On Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kilarney

Mar 1, 2008
Vermont
To supplement my pellet stove on cold nights, I was thinking about getting an Englander Add-On Furnace. I'd like to put it next to my oil furnace in the basement, so it will attach right into the same duct system.

But here's the major question...
How the heck do people vent these things? I've only got one flue, and the oil burner uses that.
In the other basement room, I have a fireplace. That has a free (unused) flue. There is an air duct that runs in this room, but it's obviously not an ideal placement, since it's just a spur and not the plenum itself.

Any chance of having this work without some major effort?

You could powervent the oil burner and use its flue, assuming that it's up to code.

First note - if that furnace does not have some sort of automatic draft control, maybe you should look elsewhere - one of their models has a spin draft control, and that seems like a problem to me.....

You do need a separate flue. Power venting the existing oil burning is a possibility, but expensive - and you will probably need to reline the existing oil chimney with SS anyway to bring up to snuff. Bottom line is that it will cost you - heck, I could have sold 4x as many stoves if it wasn't for those dang chimneys they need....

Status
Not open for further replies.