Englander EP 25 burn question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

C4vettegirl21

Feb 2, 2019
Mount Pocono, PA
Hello! I’m having some issues with high flames and high usage of hardwood pellets. I just had a used Englander 25-EP installed and I’ve never owned or operated a pellet stove before.

I’ve seen posts referencing the so called “magic buttons” but nothing tells me exactly wth they do or what the higher vs lower LFF or LBA settings does. Is there anyone out there that can dumb these down in layman’s terms so that an ordinary person can understand what they do/control? I didn’t realize I needed an engineering degree/PHD for this!

I’ve got high flames to the top of the plate on the inside. My settings are 1-3-1 right now. And have a 2/5 heat/blower setting. Same when it was 1/6. I’m afraid to set it higher bc I don’t want it to go crazy overnight while I sleep.

I had them at 4-6-1 and this afternoon, I turned up the heat range to 5 with blower speed of 7 before going to take a shower. About an hour or so later, I came back downstairs to an overflowing burn pot.

I’m so darn confused as to what the heck I should be doing to try to get this right. Can anyone help? Thanks!!

When was the last major clean done? Burn pot holes all clear and open? Ok the magic numbers are really not magic they are to fine tune the stove to achieve a proper burn on “LOW” settings of 1 & 2 after you adjust the heat up to 3 thoses settings are no longer used, till the heat settings are lowered to 1 or 2 again. So if you are on heat range 2 and your lower 3 are set at 1-3-1 and pot seams to over fill, raise your LBA to 5 that will raise the blower speed and move more air through the stove.

Read the maintenance section it will explain how and where to clean your stove. Im suspecting it has some blockage in the area behind the impingement/baffle plate
Your manual:http://pdf.lowes.com/useandcareguides/794909552639_use.pdf

Last edited:
When was the last major clean done? Burn pot holes all clear and open? Ok the magic numbers are really not magic they are to fine tune the stove to achieve a proper burn on “LOW” settings of 1 & 2 after you adjust the heat up to 3 thoses settings are no longer used, till the heat settings are lowered to 1 or 2 again. So if you are on heat range 2 and your lower 3 are set at 1-3-1 and pot seams to over fill, raise your LBA to 5 that will raise the blower speed and move more air through the stove.

Your manual:http://pdf.lowes.com/useandcareguides/794909552639_use.pdf

I just did a major deep clean. Took it all apart and cleaned behind the plates, etc. the burn pot is clean and all holes are visable.

Will setting the LBA to 5 that help control the flame? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
On a low setting changing the blower speed will affect the fire. If at heat 5 and its over flowing the the burn pot there is either an obstruction in the exhaust, trough the stove, motor is weak or the control board is bad and pellet feed is stuck at a higher rate. Did you pull the combustion blower and clean the fan blades and chamber?

Also, check your burn pot. Mine had a slight warp to it and it wouldn’t sit flush, allowing air to bypass the burn pot. This would cause an over full burn pot. I cut a gasket out of some lytherm I had kicking around and it was a night and day difference.

Eric

Reactions: Ssyko
On a low setting changing the blower speed will affect the fire. If at heat 5 and its over flowing the the burn pot there is either an obstruction in the exhaust, trough the stove, motor is weak or the control board is bad and pellet feed is stuck at a higher rate. Did you pull the combustion blower and clean the fan blades and chamber?

That I did not do. I don’t even know where they are located. I just did as the tech from Englander instructed me. Also, keep in mind I’m a single chick that’s not the most mechanically enclined. Lol.

I have it set to 1-1-1 right now and it’s been this way all day. Seems much better now. Flames still pretty high, but overall ok and not overflowing the burn pot even at 5-7 burn/blower. The only thing is the glass gets black so I know something is wrong. Just no clue what.

I have a box fan blowing on the unit at the moment (from the side) and it seems to be helping quite a bit with getting more of the hot air circulating.

I’m in the Poconos in PA and it’s been brutal here. I have electric baseboard heat in the house I’m living in. (Family home) It was built in like 1905 so I know it’s drafty as hell. I have quite a few of the windows with the shrink film on them and I’m doing a couple more every day. It’s just me, my dog, and 2 cats so I can’t do it all in one day.

Thanks for the help. If you have more suggestions, please share.

Run your fan at 9 so you get all you can from the stove. Can you post some pics of the exhaust vent pipe configuration. It’s definitely not getting a good draft somewhere. The combustion blower motor is near the exhast port you put the vent pipe on. You may have to pull panels to access it