Englander install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPED

Hearth Supporter
Dec 31, 2007
Ok, now that I have the stove it's time to plan for the install. First things first, my chimney is a masonry lined one, it's 7" id, and 8 1/4" od, so I'm a lil larger than I need. Chimney has been inspected, it's all in good shape(needs to be cleaned will do that first). Here are some pics

Attachments

• 123_2334_halfsize.JPG
    123_2334_halfsize.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 388
  • 123_2335small.JPG
    123_2335small.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 368
More pics.....

Attachments

• 123_2338.JPG
    123_2338.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 350
Inside of chimney

Attachments

• 123_2337small.JPG
    123_2337small.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 340
If you have the resources, your installation would be significantly improved by installing a 6 inch SS liner in that flu. You would have a good draft, easy maintenance and greater safety. If you do go with a liner, then insulate the top sections that are above the roof line.

Definitely needs to be cleaned. Its an interior chimney you could prolly get away without insulation. But looks like it may be a tad short, insulation might help draft better.
As long as there are no hunks or mortar protruding out inside between the clay flue tiles, & it fairly straight & plumb, liner install shouldn't be too bad.
If not insulating, you could stuff some kawool or rockwool insulation around the liner at top for a foot or so. Its already going to be a tight fit though. Whats with the other one? Heater exhaust? Looks real clean.

Pic of inside house

Attachments

• 123_2340.JPG
    123_2340.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 344
swestall said:
If you have the resources, your installation would be significantly improved by installing a 6 inch SS liner in that flu. You would have a good draft, easy maintenance and greater safety. If you do go with a liner, then insulate the top sections that are above the roof line.

What does a liner cost(roughly) I'd guess I'd need around 12-15 feet.

Hogwildz said:
Definitely needs to be cleaned. Its an interior chimney you could prolly get away without insulation. But looks like it may be a tad short, insulation might help draft better.
As long as there are no hunks or mortar protruding out inside between the clay flue tiles, & it fairly straight & plumb, liner install shouldn't be too bad.
If not insulating, you could stuff some kawool or rockwool insulation around the liner at top for a foot or so. Its already going to be a tight fit though. Whats with the other one? Heater exhaust? Looks real clean.

The other one is heater exhaust, I wish I could burn that clean with my existing stove ;)

Backpack09 said:
Does your existing chimney meet the 3-2-10? rule?

I might actually have to measure to be sure, it's definitely ok on the 3, and it's above the roof peak, but maybe only a foot and a half instead of 2.... but pretty close. Could always do an extension for that.

So for the chimney, is it really even an option to not get a liner? My current stove drafts great(i know two totally different animals) I never have smoke issues. The reason I ask is if there's gonna be a liner, this stove is gonna sit a while, wife will kill me if I spend more installing it.

And as far as the inside of the house, the brick pad is 48" wide and about 45" deep, so I know I technically need a little hearth extension on the floor, which really is a good idea anyway. I'm redoing that floor soon(hate the laminate) with hardwood and I may just do a 12" row of tiles around the brick. The width between the shelves is 65" so I should be good there, with a two foot wide stove that leaves me about 20 1/2" on each side.

One thing I'm a lil confused about in the instructions.... do I use 6" single wall pipe for the install up to the brick? Or do I have to use double wall. I'm ok clearance wise, I'm nowhere near anything with that pipe, brick goes all the way up.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

NOW, that's a classic!
Cost of the liner kit depends on the manufactrer, there are some economies with a "kit". Look on EBAY for ballpark kit prices.

Someone else here, chime in with $$ estimate and good name if you have a recommendation...

Holy moly thats a beast.
Yes, check your 10-3-2 rule. 3' higher than where it comes out of the roof ( in your case it would be the upper roof), and 2' higher than any wall or roof area 10' away.

Yeah I can't wait to try and take that sucker out of here. Time to call in some favors.....

If it were me and the choice was to keep burning that Franklin or install the 30 connected to the masonry chimney the 30 would be installed this afternoon. The manual calls for a masonry chimney to be no more than 2.5 times the area of a six inch pipe (28.26 sq. inches) and unless I have totally forgotten arithmetic you have an area of 56 sq. inches in those tiles.

There is no question that the stove will perform better with a six inch liner and you should install one as soon as possible. But burning the new one will be a hell of a lot easier on that chimney and be a safer stove than that boat anchor.

Ok. Open season. Everybody pile on and tell me where I am wrong here.

You know the HULK??

I've found that using an appliance dolley (the tall kind they move refigerators with) with a 2x6 under the stove legs, then a couple of ratcheting tie down straps to secure it, makes the moving of very heavy stoves easy. You just need helpers to get by stairs, etc.

If that is one of the cast iron Franklins a sledge hammer will reduce it to easily carried pieces in a matter of minutes.

BrotherBart said:
If it were me and the choice was to keep burning that Franklin or install the 30 connected to the masonry chimney the 30 would be installed this afternoon. The manual calls for a masonry chimney to be no more than 2.5 times the area of a six inch pipe (28.26 sq. inches) and unless I have totally forgotten arithmetic you have an area of 56 sq. inches in those tiles.

There is no question that the stove will perform better with a six inch liner and you should install one as soon as possible. But burning the new one will be a hell of a lot easier on that chimney and be a safer stove than that boat anchor.

Now that's exactly what I was thinking :) Go get some 6 inch pipe and git r done. Time to stretch the old back, if hogzilla can carry it by himself, I guess that means I have to try ;-)

SPED said:
BrotherBart said:

Now that's exactly what I was thinking :) Go get some 6 inch pipe and git r done. Time to stretch the old back, if hogzilla can carry it by himself, I guess that means I have to try ;-)

LMAO, did I ever say carry? LOL You don't "carry" that stove by yourself. You work one side, then the other LOL, Ain't no carrying involved.
Not even the Neanderthal can do that ;) Do yourself a favor, take the door of, and the bricks out. The slide her into the house and into place. A dolly or hand truck would come in handy. I don't have the hand truck, and the dolly just wouldn't work on a stone driveway.

Hogwildz said:
SPED said:
BrotherBart said:

LMAO, did I ever say carry? LOL You don't "carry" that stove by yourself. You work one side, then the other LOL, Ain't no carrying involved.
Not even the Neanderthal can do that ;) Do yourself a favor, take the door of, and the bricks out. The slide her into the house and into place. A dolly or hand truck would come in handy. I don't have the hand truck, and the dolly just wouldn't work on a stone driveway.

Eh what's another couple bulged disks in the back? The PT girl was nice....

SPED said:
Hogwildz said:
SPED said:
BrotherBart said:

Eh what's another couple bulged disks in the back? The PT girl was nice....

Actually they suck. PT made em worse for me.

PT= painful torture, I got the electrodes on mine when I did it.....ouch.

So how bout that single wall from the stove to the brick?

I think your ok single wall to the thimble, but research it well. I never connected to a wall before. Might need double wall at the thimble. Dunno.

Single wall to the thimble is fine. Pics and stuff are in the manual.

Ok, that's what I thought from the manual but wanted to be sure before I bought any. Now I gotta go find some stovepipe....wonder if lowes has any left ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.