Englander Pvdc25 door gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Doylee4693

Nov 16, 2017
Buffalo
The metal bracket that holds my door gasket in place has a bolt that’s free spinning. Wont tighten and wont come out. And ideas what to do here?
AFDC7B00-0082-4E34-9CFA-B429C4F0A984.jpeg

Hi,

Your best bet is probably just to make the hole a little larger and tap it to the next largest size. I have a dull recollection those are something like 3/8" x 3/16" fine thread screws but never verified it.

Best,

Nathan

Reactions: Doylee4693
Hi,

Your best bet is probably just to make the hole a little larger and tap it to the next largest size. I have a dull recollection those are something like 3/8" x 3/16" fine thread screws but never verified it.

Best,

Nathan
I noticed there is a hole right next to that bolt from the factory, which I can easily put a self tapper in “which im not gonna” or to tap a new hole and still be able to use the bracket. Ive never come accross a screw that turns freely but wont loosin or tighten. Even if i remove the bots head, the body will still be impossible to remove. Ill wait till next year to do these gaskets I guess. Im more worried about it not doing its job of keeping the gasket tight against the glass, however all the other bolts are tight.

I noticed there is a hole right next to that bolt from the factory, which I can easily put a self tapper in “which im not gonna” or to tap a new hole and still be able to use the bracket. Ive never come accross a screw that turns freely but wont loosin or tighten. Even if i remove the bots head, the body will still be impossible to remove. Ill wait till next year to do these gaskets I guess. Im more worried about it not doing its job of keeping the gasket tight against the glass, however all the other bolts are tight.

I've never tried this, but I wonder if expanding a rivet as far as it will go in the old hole is enough to hold it temporarily? Maybe a soft rivet will form itself to the old threads.

Hey Doylee if there is a gap where i have red try a small screw driver under the bracket and lift it up while removing the screw. don't put alot of pressure and break your ceramic window. but just enough for the screw to catch on the threads and back out.
AFDC7B00-0082-4E34-9CFA-B429C4F0A984.jpeg