englander questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gripper93

Oct 1, 2009
central ohio
I have an englander 25 pdvc. This might be a no brain question but I'm gona ask anyway. I have no brain therefor I ask so my wife tells me. I run my stove on the lowest setting and it seems to keep the house around 72 and it was 15 degrees last night so happy it stayed warm on low. I know running a wood stove on low for long periods can cause a creosote build up. So I was wandering if this is true with the pellet stoves and should I run it on high for a bit or just clean it sooner? The other question is I turn it on around 6 pm and turn it off around 6 am since the temp has been getting higher than 30 I use my heat-pump during the day since no one is here. Is it OK to turn on and off, turn on and off,turn on and off. Will this be hard on the stove or can I still save some pellets for the cold days and very cold nights? Thanks

Gripper, pellet stoves typically don't build up creosote, unless they are burning VERY dirty. The fact that the pellet pipes probably has fine, light grey-brown ash stuck to the walls that comes off easily with a brush proves that. Don't worry about it. If you want to feel better about it, run the stove on High for an hour every couple of days.

As for the on-off, on-off......it's just a little harder on the ignitor. Other than that, the stove doesn't know the difference, IMO.

Cool, Thanks for the info. I figured that was the case but just wanted to make sure. By the way this website and You guys are a great asset to the hearth community a big Thanks To Mike from Englander for telling me about it. I will be telling friends about it for years to come!!!!!

gripper93 said:
Cool, Thanks for the info. I figured that was the case but just wanted to make sure. By the way this website and You guys are a great asset to the hearth community a big Thanks To Mike from Englander for telling me about it. I will be telling friends about it for years to come!!!!!

Mike Holton is THE MAN! I've gotten to talk to him a few times, and he is a great guy......we are very lucky to have him on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.