Englander stove burning way too hot even with bottom bottons at 1-2-1 help!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sugentalex

Oct 18, 2019
WISCONSIN
I have an englander pellet stove 25-pdv/55 shp 22 For the 2nd nite in a row had to turn the stove off it's getting way too hot! the room blower is even cutting off I think its overheating. also just started burning different pellets but shouldn't it be ok with the real low setting? It is in mode d help we love the stove but wont keep using if this keeps happening

Last edited:
The bottom 3 settings only apply to heat setting 1&2. Was the stove plugged into a surge protector? What heat setting and what fan settings is it set at when this problem occurs? The convection fan may need to be replaced if its binding or operating erratically.

I usually run heat setting on 2 or 3 and blower on 9 everything seemed to be running good before bed then woke up at about 3 am house smelled like burning wood pretty good and the room fan wasn't on at that point I was reading something if the stove gets too hot that room fan will turn off ?

It also could have jumped into another mode number. Is it feeding more pellets then normal?

If the stove gets to hot, by design the whole stove should shut down not just a fan. I would change the thermister/heat sensor and see if that is the issue.

Not to disagree with you Ssyko but it should not be over heating on any setting let alone the lower settings. I can run my 25 wide open for days on end and have no issues unless the convection blower gets dirty and slows down. But that only happens on the higher settings. So changing sensors isn’t going to fix the issue. Unless I’m missing something here.

Not to disagree with you Ssyko but it should not be over heating on any setting let alone the lower settings. I can run my 25 wide open for days on end and have no issues unless the convection blower gets dirty and slows down. But that only happens on the higher settings. So changing sensors isn’t going to fix the issue. Unless I’m missing something here.
Any thoughts or ideas what to do?

Thermisters can give false readings and takes the place of the pof, overtemp snap disc’s. If it has been replaced then i would lean towards somthing within the board programming or component. Even on low settings if the convection blower failed the stove will overheat and should shut itself down and its not.

Reactions: Sugentalex
Ssyko I missed that it wasn’t shutting off. Sorry. Then yes I agree that there is a fail safe not working . Thermocouple. But I still would check modes . These stove are super simple and they tend to jump modes for no reason. Even just unplugging and replugging or leaving plugged in to long without running it. Been there. JMO

Ssyko I missed that it wasn’t shutting off. Sorry. Then yes I agree that there is a fail safe not working . Thermocouple. But I still would check modes . These stove are super simple and they tend to jump modes for no reason. Even just unplugging and replugging or leaving plugged in to long without running it. Been there. JMO
So your talking the modes as in the a b c or d?

Yes the a b c or d . If it jumps to a or b it would definitely over fire. But he should also see a lot of pellets being fed into the pot

Ssyko thinking outside the box here a little bit. I had an issue a few years back with my therma sensor where it was mid reading and shutting my stove down prematurely. Thanks to you and the forums I was able to figure it out that it was just ash build up on the inside of the chamber insulating the sensor that mounts to the back of the chamber down low. Could it be possible his issue be a ash build up and getting a faulty reading. Maybe a good through cleaning with a leaf blower and probs like I had to do is in order. Just a thought

Reactions: Sugentalex
Ssyko thinking outside the box here a little bit. I had an issue a few years back with my therma sensor where it was mid reading and shutting my stove down prematurely. Thanks to you and the forums I was able to figure it out that it was just ash build up on the inside of the chamber insulating the sensor that mounts to the back of the chamber down low. Could it be possible his issue be a ash build up and getting a faulty reading. Maybe a good through cleaning with a leaf blower and probs like I had to do is in order. Just a thought
Where is that sensor? Iv never seen a sensor inside the fire box

From the back looking in , it is on the left down low hand side of the auger tubes. It’s only a wire attached to the fire box then runs to the control panel

Got ya that's the one I replaced I thought you ment in the actuall fire box
When was the last time you did a deep cleaning. Like behind the impingement plate deep down . I use a leaf blower as do most of us.

When was the last time you did a deep cleaning. Like behind the impingement plate deep down . I use a leaf blower as do most of us.
I did one like that beginning of this season! Do you think it's possible the door gasket might be causing some issues? Just did the dolar test and 2 spots failed?

I did one like that beginning of this season! Do you think it's possible the door gasket might be causing some issues? Just did the dolar test and 2 spots failed?

Englander stoves are notoriously weak for exhaust vacuum, so yes it could be a factor. that being said i still would like to address the convection blower shutting off. if the Vac is to weak it would shut down the upper auger and it would run out of fuel, not over heat. have you ever made a test cord and plugged the convection blower into the wall and let it run to see if the motor is overheating and thermally shutting off?

Englander stoves are notoriously weak for exhaust vacuum, so yes it could be a factor. that being said i still would like to address the convection blower shutting off. if the Vac is to weak it would shut down the upper auger and it would run out of fuel, not over heat. have you ever made a test cord and plugged the convection blower into the wall and let it run to see if the motor is overheating and thermally shutting off?
Now week for exaust vaccume would that be because of the exaust blower? And that is a good idea about making a power tester and running the convection blower I'll try that tonight

Ssyko so you’re thought is that the convection blower is either weak or failing causing the over heat? If so a dirty squirrel cage will also cause havoc with rpm on that blower

Ssyko so you’re thought is that the convection blower is either weak or failing causing the over heat? If so a dirty squirrel cage will also cause havoc with rpm on that blower
Lol i took that apart also and cleaned the whole thing it was pretty dusty but it's all good and back togeather I am however waiting on new.gasket for the convection cause it looked a little warn

So so far I cleaned the convection and am in the process of cleaning the exaust blower also just changed door and window gasket. I took the exaust blower apart at beginning of year and cleaned it and didnt replace gaskets on that maybe that could be an issue cause the gaskets looked pretty ragged but new with stoves so not sure with all the ins and outs and it didnt act up untill I changed pellets.. so I am currently waiting on exaust blower gasket and convection gasket and will fire it up and see if it's still acting up! Parts should all be here by tues