Englander Stove Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ETPHONE

Jan 18, 2007
My manual for my Englander pellet stove say that the factory oil from the processing takes about 3 hour to burn off. How long should I wait until before I get alarmed if the odor does not go away. Should I be concerned or not?

It depends to a degree on how hot the stove is burning, but if the odor is from burning off oils, a few hours sounds about right. At the most, it should go away in a day or two.

If the odor smells like wood smoke, it may not the stove oil burning off, but could be an exhaust pipe leak. That should be addressed right away.

if the unit runs through a complete filling on a heat range of 5 or higher it should be cooked out easily, if the unit is still issuiing a smell, you may want to look through the flue hookup (joints, cleanout tee etc) as you likely have a leaky joint in the flue system

Three hour customer service. Now that's timing plus.

As far as burn off goes. There are oils and paints and solvent that are heat reactive. Sometimes the cooler parts of the stove will take longer to cure. For some their sensitivity to smell is more acute and will react strongly. If after the burn Mike suggests and there is a wood smoke smell you will have issues with the seal on the exhaust. I would really allow 4-5 good burns to cure and set the paints and seals.

ETPHONE you might want to title your threads more
appropriately in order to get the most responses.
You have two threads going that are titled the same
but both have different questions. Just a little tip to
help you get the most out of the forum.
G'luck!

for what it's worth... we put in a double oven this year and it stunk like hell for several cycles of self clean cycle. The manual said it was mostly lubricant on the nuts and bolts. Eventually it burns off. I've had dryers do the same thing. The paint continued to cure when you ran it the first few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.