Englander temp issue...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEvil

Feb 13, 2007
Most have seen my Englander vs. VC Vigilant thread but since this is a seperate issue I would like to address it in a new thread.

I installed my new Englander 13NCL yesterday. When I burn I am noticing that when the damper is open all the way the stove is not getting up to temp on its own. I have to nurse it with the front door to get it too about 400* (where it tops off at) and then when I close it down the flames get less active and the temp tends to feather off slowly.

Please keep in mind that I had a previous stove installed and it would get the single wall above the stove up to about 700* no problem (Mind you I never burn that hot but there was a learning curve with the stove as it was not air tight)

So far I have tried the following:

Forced air through the intake (Used a computer case fan behind the stove temporarily) to verify it was not plugged. This made a decent change and I could see that plenty of air flow was getting into the fire box. The temperature still did not rise as fast as it would with the door cracked (for obvious reasons..more restriction)

I also tried some different wood. I know that the wood I have from my supplier is only semi seasoned. I burns pretty cool and I have had better luck with pallets and also mixing in some of my cordwood (Mostly Maple, Birch and Oak)

I'm not sure I like the way the air inlet is designed on this stove. It seems almost too high to keep the fire hot enough to get up to a good temp.

I do not have an Outside air kit installed, maybe I need one?

Note: The thermometer (Mag mount) is about 18" up on the single wall off the stove. Thats where I am taking my readings.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance. I love this site!

Dry wood is a must. You can't get your stove hot if your "drying" your wood as it burns.

With pallet material, your stove should get almost too hot.

Honestly sounds to me like a wood issue.

If your wood is dry, it should start burning as soon as you lay it in the stove.

I went through this same thing.............wet wood was the whole problem.

Englander makes a good stove I hear, there should be no problem with your air intake.

Just double check it's open somehow.

Robbie

I just saw 600*

I loaded it up with three of the 2x4 sections of pallet and it is rocking now. I added a split on top and I actually turned it down a touch.

So looks like its definatly the wood. I have a mix of wet and dry so it looks like I am going to fire (lol) my wood guy and start doing it myself. Its cheaper that way.

Thanks for reading.

Vinny

Yeppers , I'd say wet soggy wood ...............

Well , wet and soggy might be a bit much . You said you get wood from your supplier ? how long has it been cut , split and stacked and seasoned for ? You mentioned OAK , Oak takes about 2 years to dry and longer AFTER its been cut , split and stacked. Mid range and some softer woods take about 9 months + to dry AFTER cut split and stacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.