Englander wood stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skippy20

Nov 7, 2016
Michigan
Hi I'm new to the forms and wood Burning. Let me start by saying I have narrowed down the wood stoves that I would like to get it's the Englander just not sure if the 13-NCH or the 30-NCH. The stove will be my primary heat source.

House info: it is 1200 sqft Bungalow style house it a old house built in the 1930s. The house is located in Michigan so it does get blow 0 here. The stove will not be placed in the center of the house as there is not any room the only spot I can will be in the back of the house. So I'm sure that I will be using fans to push the heat around the house. Layout of the house is back room where the stove will be leads into the kitchen. Off the kitchen is a small hall and dining room. The hall goes into a living room, bathroom, bedroom and upstairs. The dining room goes into the living room. Besides the bathroom and bedroom there are no doors separating the rooms. Upstairs is a hallway the goes into two bedrooms.

So the 13-NC says it heats up to 1800 sqft but will it work in this house? And the 30-NC heats up to 2400 sqft will that be way to much for me?
Any help would be appreciated.

Do a rough heat loss calculation on your home. That is the calculation a good contractor would do if you were replacing your furnace and estimating what BTU furnace you would need. This will get you in the ball park.

I have the 30 (as many do here) and absolutely love it. I'm in about the same climate as you and I heat a 2100sqft contemporary ranch home with very high ceilings. My house is about 25 yrs old..so I likely have much better insulation.

My gut tells me the 30 might be too much..but you need to calculate some data about your home first.

...and welcome! This is a great forum. The guys here are really great.

I would also consider the Englander Madison (50-SSW01) also under the Summer's Heat brand. It will have easier installation requirements for a small space. The True North TN20 is another stove to consider for this space.

If you want to sleep through the night get something bigger than 13. I have the insert version of the 13 and my biggest complaint is no overnight burn. Good luck and choose wisely.

Reactions: Dix
Do a rough heat loss calculation on your home. That is the calculation a good contractor would do if you were replacing your furnace and estimating what BTU furnace you would need. This will get you in the ball park.

I have the 30 (as many do here) and absolutely love it. I'm in about the same climate as you and I heat a 2100sqft contemporary ranch home with very high ceilings. My house is about 25 yrs old..so I likely have much better insulation.

My gut tells me the 30 might be too much..but you need to calculate some data about your home first.

...and welcome! This is a great forum. The guys here are really great.

Thanks for the reply I'm having a friend that's in the Business come over and do the calculations for me. He give me the formula over the phone and I did it but it may not be right. I came up with 102,000 btu and that's only because I don't have any insulation and leaky windows. So he's going to come over later on today to do it himself.

I would also consider the Englander Madison (50-SSW01) also under the Summer's Heat brand. It will have easier installation requirements for a small space. The True North TN20 is another stove to consider for this space.

I have looked to the Madison (50-sswo1) and the bigger one (50-sswo2) but never hear of TN20 I'll look into thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on the lack of insulation the Madison looks like a good fit.

Thanks for the reply I'm having a friend that's in the Business come over and do the calculations for me. He give me the formula over the phone and I did it but it may not be right. I came up with 102,000 btu and that's only because I don't have any insulation and leaky windows. So he's going to come over later on today to do it himself.
That's smart.

With really leaky windows you might want to consider a cold air intake. Instead of pulling air from the room (which gets pulled from outside), it pulls the air directly from outside to the stove. This prevents more cold from being sucked into the house.

I'd fix the insulation and air sealing first. You'll need a smaller stove, less wood, less drafty when the wind blows, less noise, lower temperature swings, etc. You can't go wrong by prepping the house first. It'll also give you a chance to get your wood supply in line. Properly dried wood is often the difference between being happy with your stove or frustrated.wood sellers and burners often have a different definition of what seasoned means.

I have looked into to cold air intake. But hear a lot of pros and cons. Talk to an installer in the area and they recommended not doing the cold intake. They are dangerous and could cause a Backdraft. But it all depends on the airflow around the house. So I figured not to do it now but I can add it later if I feel it is needed. I also will be adding new windows in a year.

A few other things to consider are: 1) how warm (=hot) might you want the house, especially the room with the stove, and 2) how long you might want the stove to burn without reloading.

The bigger stove will surely overheat the room its in (and perhaps the kitchen, too) since its in the back of the house... but that stove will be able to generate more output when it's very cold, and will be able to burn longer between loading.

The smaller stove is probably more suited to your square footage, but not to your layout and the leaky nature of your house. It will be fine in more moderate temps, and not cook you out of the kitchen, but might struggle on the coldest days..

My wife and I prefer the stove room to be over-toasty, have an abundance of firewood, and we have a small but very old and leaky house, so we prefer having an over-sized stove (3 cu ft). There is no doubt that tightening up the house will save you wood and allow better results with a smaller stove. But even so, consider that people get mixed results trying to heat a house evenly when the stove is not centralized, regardless of stove size.

I'm sure my wife would love it toaster then me. I will not have troubles with wood because my dad has 40 acres with about half of them with dead ash trees. I have about 30 trees at about 25 feet long piled up now not split yet they have been there for a year now but still in the weather

I want to thank all you guys for the for the info. Just came a cross a older wood burner that someone taking out of there house the Burner is a treemont I'll take a picture and start a new post to see if anyone knows about it. All I can find is the Company is no longer in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.