Enough winter already, welcome spring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Tomorrow is the first day of spring. One of my favorite times of the year. I went on a walk yesterday in Seattle and took some shots to welcome spring. It's coming folks, I promise.
IMAG0476web.jpg IMAG0479web.jpg IMAG0480web.jpg IMAG0481web.jpg IMAG0483web.jpg

First day of spring
Forecast 4 to 6 in snow
2012 First day of spring start of a week long heat wave at 25 C and above
what a differance 2 years make

Tomorrow is the first day of spring. One of my favorite times of the year. I went on a walk yesterday in Seattle and took some shots to welcome spring

thanks! Love your photos, really helping to keep me sane at this point. Snowing to beat the band out there right now, 3-6" they say. :(

Edit. I posted this then let the dog out. Big flash and rolling thunder, still snowing, but t storms are a good sign. Maybe....

Well, you obviously get spring way before we do.
I won't post any pics from here......you'd get depressed.
Our driveway is now a lovely skating rink...again.
So, there's that.
Spring is coming, spring is coming, spring is coming..............;lol

Reactions: Dix
Shovelled the driveway today after work. Sidewalks are still tunnels (3' or more on the yard side, 5' snowbanks roadside). No sign of green anywhere. Sorry begreen I know I'm a buzz kill - those are nice pics. Good to know there's a light somewhere...

Reactions: PapaDave
It's been raining steadily since the wee hours of the morning. The "bunny trail" (snow blown path around the lawn, out to the compost pile) has many ankle deep puddles in the low spots that are still frozen. Remaining 12" of snow is sodden, the crust is gone, and there is no walking on top of it anymore. Driveway is muddy. No Red Wing Blackbird calls yet. Frost heaves are just brutal this year. A few anemic bulbs are emerging next to the foundation of the south side of the house. Maple buds are swelling, though!

Thanks for the lovely shots of what will, eventually, visit my little coHnuh of New England. You just can't beat flowering shrubs, I can't wait to smell Magnolia stellata on a warm breeze.

20140320_073804.jpg
Happy first day of spring!

13" last night, only twice the forecast.
That Bird feeder hangs at head height without snow on the ground. I NEVER had to dig it out before let alone in March.

Remember, at the time of the equinox(1 PM here) it's easy to balance an egg on end due to the gravitational pull. If you leave it on end it'll settle and stay that way. Like a weeble.

It's been raining steadily since the wee hours of the morning. The "bunny trail" (snow blown path around the lawn, out to the compost pile) has many ankle deep puddles in the low spots that are still frozen. Remaining 12" of snow is sodden, the crust is gone, and there is no walking on top of it anymore. Driveway is muddy. No Red Wing Blackbird calls yet. Frost heaves are just brutal this year. A few anemic bulbs are emerging next to the foundation of the south side of the house. Maple buds are swelling, though!

Thanks for the lovely shots of what will, eventually, visit my little coHnuh of New England. You just can't beat flowering shrubs, I can't wait to smell Magnolia stellata on a warm breeze.

I think I may have to move south . . . woke up to 2-3 inches this morning . . . it has now turned to rain though.

Looks like there is a good chance I will be sledding this weekend though . . . that's a good thing.

Tomorrow is the first day of spring. One of my favorite times of the year. I went on a walk yesterday in Seattle and took some shots to welcome spring. It's coming folks, I promise.
View attachment 130032 View attachment 130033 View attachment 130034 View attachment 130035 View attachment 130036

I love the Washington Seattle area, begreen. The home designs, gardens, and colors are beautiful. Great pictures - makes me look forward to my azheleas in a few weeks.

Unfortunately just saw the jet stream for NY for next week and it is gonna be in the 30s mostly. Wah.

It's coming to a neighborhood near you soon. Happy spring everyone!

The little yellowish birds were trying to get at the feeder this morning (no luck until my better half cleared things off for them). Pup apparently not too impressed with first day of Spring - waiting for walk this morning at the end of the driveway, mom walking her down the street a bit later.

1st day of spring pup in end of driveway.jpg 1st day of spring walking pup.jpg

wow, that's ruff.

This one's a bit of a throwback for sure (been many years since we've had this kind of prolonged cold).

I recall driving home from camp in a blizzard last year on Mothers Day. Lingering snow / crappy weather as winter tapers off isn't so shocking. It's just that we still have so much of it on the ground this year, and the never ending frigid temps - that's why I got my whine on. Just wanna see a lawn somewhere (then I can b$tch about cutting the grass) :)

my wife wants to move to Kentucky ;lol - that's a nice shot. thanks everyone for posting the sanity pictures.....

Wow. I know there are crocuses in my yard, too... somewhere!

Get this! I saw a couple of Bluebirds today... we don't live in location that is their preferred habitat (more wooded than "open field") and I did a doubletake when I saw him.

:eek::oops:!!!

my wife wants to move to Kentucky ;lol - that's a nice shot. thanks everyone for posting the sanity pictures.....
I live on the fringe of a good size metro area near Ohio and while it's not deep Kentucky, It's much different from Ohio.
We've been all over Kentucky, and if there's one other place that I'd settle, it would be near Lexington.
If you ever decide to make the move, visit every part of the state that you can, it's culturally and geographically diverse and like any other state, there's good and bad, even in rural areas.

The geese were flying north the other day.

The horses are shedding, big time. Dix covered my fleece jacket tonight (under thermals, 2 pair of sox, winter boots, and a turtleneck & a sweat shirt). I Looked like a yak when I stopped at the store on the way home) and I put a blanket on her tonight. Matisse needs a shedding blade big time, gonna tackle that this weekend, other wise she gets rain rot :mad:

No crocuses, nothing popping up.

*insert tired of winter here, signed Dix*

Reactions: Bobbin
Looking at a half full glass so to speak ... went for a ride on the sled last night and the Spring ride was fantastic. Only did 30 miles but visited several folks.

Reactions: PapaDave and Bobbin
I was out with the fool dog at 5 this morning and it was beautiful outdoors. Pretty moon, the snow had refrozen and we (well, I) was able to walk on top of it and we went out into the woods. But I'm getting tired of the hat, mittens, YakTrax routine. Oh well, can't change it, so enjoying what it has to offer beats the hell out of grousing about it!

I was out with the fool dog at 5 this morning and it was beautiful outdoors. Pretty moon, the snow had refrozen and we (well, I) was able to walk on top of it and we went out into the woods. But I'm getting tired of the hat, mittens, YakTrax routine. Oh well, can't change it, so enjoying what it has to offer beats the hell out of grousing about it!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
This, coming from the guy who fell on the ice yesterday.
It really isn't the fall....it's the sudden, jarring stop at the end that'll get ya'.

Reactions: firefighterjake
20140326_131723.jpg

My lilac is starting to get buds! :)
The others are still completely burried.

Please Mr. BeGreen, can we see more pictures with the bright colors? Please sir, they make my eyes happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.