Enviblocks in OWB?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOutdoors

May 12, 2008
Lempster, NH
Anyone ever burn these in their OWBs or gassers? I have 20 plus cords of tree length and way behind the eight ball as far as splitting. I was going to purchase 5 cords of dry/seasoned wood, but these look interesting. I would mix with regular seasoned wood. They are right down the road from me @ $250 a ton=1.25 cords.

http://www.enviblocks.com/

Do a forum search on them because I know they were brought up during the last part of last winter. I thinks some with gasser's and owbs were experimenting and of course a wide variety of wood stoves were using them too.

They look to me very much like the same sort of thing as "BioBricks" - Don't know if they are "better" to burn, but I don't know of any real problems caused by burning them. One caution I have heard is that because they have lower moisture content, if just thrown in loose, they can burn hotter than standard wood, which can be exciting. You should plan on stacking them in tightly, and not stuffing the firebox as full as you might with splits.

The other BIG caution is that you MUST keep them DRY... If they get wet, they will expand back into the wood particles they were made from, and disintegrate in the process, so you end up with a heap of wet sawdust instead of a useful brick...

Gooserider

I have used something similar in my Dutchwest and they definitley burn hotter. I just didn't want to hurt the boiler. I would just mix them in I guess. I have 20 plus cords of tree length, but haven't been able to cut any yet. I figure 5 tons of the blocks mixed with semi-seasoned hardwood will be better than nothing. I won't start burning until december, so I plan on cutting this week. Your right though, when that stuff gets wet, it expands into a big mess!

Status
Not open for further replies.