Enviro 1700 blower fan problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haven

Dec 1, 2012
Western Massachusetts
The other night we could smell something awful like burning hair. Ugh, filled the whole house up with that nasty smell. Next day we took out the blower. It was filled with dust. Vacuumed and used compress air to clean it up. After installing it back in, I noticed that the air coming out of the top of the unit wasn't that much and what was coming out was mostly coming out from the right top, hardly any from the left part of the opening. Both the top and bottom part of the blower fan was rotating. Also, making a bit more noise too. Any ideas what could be the issue?

Thought I would toss this out again.

Had my first fire of the season last night and noticed that I still only had air coming out of the top right hand side of the fire box. Can anyone else that has an Enviro 1700 check if this is normal or if it should be coming from the entire top area. Thanks

Thought I would toss this out again.

Had my first fire of the season last night and noticed that I still only had air coming out of the top right hand side of the fire box. Can anyone else that has an Enviro 1700 check if this is normal or if it should be coming from the entire top area. Thanks

I had an Enviro Cabello 1700 wood insert installed a few weeks back. The Cabello has 4 ducts (thats what I'm calling them) on top of the firebox where the warm air from the fan comes out. I have fired the insert up 3-4 times just to test things out, and I have also noticed the majority (like 90%) of the air comes from the 2 ducts on the right side. There may be some air blowing out of the left ducts, but very little. Again, my insert is only a few weeks old, so I am assuming this is normal and how the unit is supposed to function.

Reactions: Haven
Same thing here. My Boston 1700 also gives pretty much 100% of the air out of the right. Kinda makes sense since the fan is on the left and just a rectangle on the top - nothing to even out the air flow. I usually can't tell though since I run the fan really low - I'm not convinced it does much.

The burning hair smell is probably just burning hair and dust bunnies on top of the stove. Again I had the same experience and it went away after the first couple of fires this year.

Reactions: Haven

Ha! OP can choose to live in one of two worlds. In one, anytime there's a slight burning smell you just say "Heh - just the dust bunnies burning off". In the other, anytime there's a slight burning smell you say "Oh $&@;" and rip off the facade of the insert searching for dead mice.

Me? I'd rather live blissfully in the self delusion that the burning mouse is just a dust bunny.

Last edited:
Ha! OP can choose to live in one of two worlds. In one, anytime there's a slight burning smell you just say "Heh - just the dust bunnies burning off". In the other, anytime there's a slight burning smell you say "Oh $&@;" and rip off the facade of the insert searching for dead mice.

Me? I'd rather live blissfully in the self delusion that the burning mouse is just a dust bunny.
. Oh Gods No.......That was definitely not a "slight burning smell" the entire house filled up with that stench.
I hope to never have to smell that again!

Thanks HeartofDixie and NoGoodatScreenNames for checking. I couldn't remember how the air flow was before I took apart the blower. Put's my mind at ease knowing that's the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.