Enviro EF3 Auger jamming. Bushing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Digitalsucks

Dec 24, 2017
SeaView, PEI
Hi there,

My first post. I installed a used EF3 last year, and have been burning full time (except june til sept). Cleaning every 2 days. Deep clean a few times in the past year...

I’ve not had an auger jam so far. However, last night I heard a “pop” sound, and the auger immediately stopped. The auger light continued, but there was no auger movement. I unplugged the power to the auger, and plugged it back in, and auger continued again for 4-5 minutes (with a few grinding sounds) then quit.

After a bunch of reading on this forum, this morning, I emptied the hopper, removed the auger and motor, vaccumed the whole thing, the brass bushing “looked” ok (but not 100% on these things, and I couldn’t seperate the motor from the shaft). Seemed any jammed was cleared, and put the motor/auger back in place. Auger spun freely for a few minutes. So I loaded up a scoop of pellets, fire ignited and ran for 10-15 minutes. Had a few grinding sounds, then “pop/snap” sounds again ... auger quit.

Sounds like i’m pulling that auger out again, but for a bushing? Gears? Motor itself?

I’ve checkd the temp sensor red switch, it appears to be pushed in. And I checked to make sure the motor is getting power. 110volts.

Any help or insight is appreciated. Because of the holidays, most shops locally are closed, and I have a bit of a chance to see if there’s something I can do to get some heat in the meantime.

-jay

have you changed pellets? info i received from our local suppler he told me the higher end pellets that they sell had far to many returns from inconsistent sizing and jamming the auger

have you changed pellets? info i received from our local suppler he told me the higher end pellets that they sell had far to many returns from inconsistent sizing and jamming the auger
Thanks. No, I have been burning the same brand (eastern ember) pellets since I got the stove.

I can still rotate the motor/auger assembly by hand. Seems tight at first, but not stuck, so might it be the gearbox making the sound?

Did you take apart the auger motor ?
The lub in them tend to get hard after a few years .
Clean it and repack with a good grease. also put a little
lub on the bushings hopefully that will get you up and heating

Did you take apart the auger motor ?
The lub in them tend to get hard after a few years .
Clean it and repack with a good grease. also put a little
lub on the bushings hopefully that will get you up and heating

Thanks. I didn’t take the motor apart, just took the auger and motor off the stove. Do you mean the silver box attached to the motor? I can certainly give that a go.

Thanks. I didn’t take the motor apart, just took the auger and motor off the stove. Do you mean the silver box attached to the motor? I can certainly give that a go.
Gear box
3or4 screws and the top should come off . Check the gears and give it a cleaning add lub
see what happens . Have yet to see a bushing jam up , wear out yes jam no . The
gears may be worn out or the gear bushings may be sloppy (worm)

Gear box
3or4 screws and the top should come off . Check the gears and give it a cleaning add lub
see what happens . Have yet to see a bushing jam up , wear out yes jam no . The
gears may be worn out or the gear bushings may be sloppy (worm)

Thanks. Really appreciate the replies. Gearbox is apart now. Just having a closer look now.

Gears look ok, I think. Grease was pretty fresh looking. However, now I’m looking for a blowout drawing for where these washers, and spacers go. :)

Update. I managed to figure out which gears and spacers went where, and greased it back up (only had a tube of dielectric grease on hand) and re-assmebled the motor/auger into the stove. Its been burning fairly quietly for the last 3 hours or so, so I’m hopeful, but not filling the hooper all the way yet, just in case. Ha.

Just settling into a christmas nor’easter, so hopefully we can stay warm for a day or two :)

Thanks for your help. Happy Holidays.

-jay