Enviro Empress FPI Burnpot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T_lee05

Sep 28, 2013
I don't know whether I have a bad batch of pellets, but I have heavy build up in the burn pot and little ash in the ash pan.

See pics. The pellets I'm currently using are Energex Prem Grade Hardwood. I had been using Golden Pellet Super Premium which my supplier had ran out of when I went to pick up if what was remaining quantity in the ton I had bought.

I'm new to the pellet stove arena so everything has been trial and error for me while relying on this forum. If it is the pellets, does anyone recommend the pellets Lowes or Agway sells?

Thanks in advance!!

Merry Xmas!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 198
Welcome to the forum:)

First off, did you get a credit or more bags of pellets for the substitution of an inferior (cheaper?) pellet if you paid for the ton of Golden Pellets?

Supply of different varieties of pellets sometimes is dependant on where you are in the country. Helps if we have a general idea... The main page also has a section on pellets varieties and prices in different parts of the country. Edit: "Sticky Links"

Definitely have burn issues... Was this happening with the previous pellets? What settings are you running on? Hopefully others with Enviros will chime in for more specifics on settings

you may need to adjust the damper setting to increase airflow through the unit (assuming of course that the unit is clean). Ideally you should see a bit of "wiggle" on a few of the pellets in the burnpot but not so much air that they are leaping.

+1 on Delta T's call. Move your damper to the right several inches. That will clear it up.

Also make sure to really clean the burn pot liner well. They get hard carbon build up by the area where the ignitor is, plus on the ends. Get a pair of safety glasses, hold the burn pot liner in your palm, and hit it HARD with the cleaning tool in these areas. You need to make sure to chisel the carbon off. Also see the post I created about my Empress' non-start problem. If you have any pellets get under the burn pot liner, that will also cause what you're seeing there.

Hope that helps you out.

Hello T what you got there is the classic clinker. Don't think opening your damper will help that. Better quality pellets will. The ideal setting for the air damper (unless you are using a magnehelic) is all the way to the left, then go right about 3/8 inch. Good luck.

My Enviro EF3 was doing that. I then read in the manual that Enviro recommends that you clean the burn pot liner daily. I shut mine down each evening and just dump the ash out of the liner. If I don't do this every 24 hours, mine looks exactly like yours does there.

Status
Not open for further replies.