Enviro M55 Cast, FPI

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lobsterhunter

Nov 29, 2020
Maine
Hello all,
I am coming to my wits end.
I have a 2015 Enviro M55 FPI, I bought this unit brand new and had installed in 2017, it has ran fine up until last season.

I am getting a flashing #4 light on the unit, I have gone thru all possible troubleshooting for the flashing 4. I have replaced the whole hopper switch, the convection blower, the high limit temp. sensor .
I replaced the daughter board last year, as some of the buttons felt "sticky" again as a precaution. I just got done installing a new motherboard, with again no luck.
Just curious if anyone has any issues like this, or any ideas.
I power on the unit, can already hear that it isn't starting its usual startup routine, it never gets to point of pellets dropping, before the flashing light starts.
I have tested just the auger which runs, vacuum lines are clear of kinks, door and ash pan closed tightly and gaskets are in good condition.
I had a small town "tech" try to troubleshoot as well without any luck, he pretty much confirmed what I had already troubleshot and my dealer does not have any techs. for this make.
Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

When did this issue start and how did it start? After cleaning stove, or changing the setup?

Tell us little bit about the stove setup? How is the exhaust going out? If the exhaust is blocked it would affect pressure. Pictures would help.

#4 light signals high temp switch tripping or the pressure issue. So check those 2 sensors. Since you didn't mention the vacuum switch, I would start there. Those switches are easy to break if you are not careful when cleaning the stove with the leaf blower trick. Off course, check the wiring for both sensors. Look for disconnected wires, broken wires and such. Make sure all the harnesses are plugged in right. Spend some time looking at the wiring diagram is you are not sure.

Another thing to look at is your power outlet for the stove. Check the voltage with a voltage meter and make sure you have a surge protector on the stove plug.

Good luck.

Reactions: johneh
The manual says that a #4 flash code can indicate 2 different things:
-It can indicate that the high temp switch is tripped (as Vinny stated above).
-It can also indicate that the hopper lid is open. On my free standing M55, the hopper lid switch is activated by a small magnet attached to the lid. This magnet can come loose which will cause this issue. Here's what the manual says:

"Note: The Control Panel is located underneath the units Cast Hopper Lid which is attached to a safety switch that will immediatley stop the auger. The switch will stop operation of the stove and display a #4 flash code if the lid is not closed within two minutes."

So you may want to look for that magnet and make sure it's activating the switch.Good luck and let us know what you find.

Marc

Reactions: Ssyko
All I can say is... If I had a hopper lid switch, first thing I'd do is either jumper it or add a jumper on the board lugs. What a worthless 'safety' feature. Glad neither of my units has that piece of ' protect you from yourself' junk. Only time I can see having one is if the unit was positive draft but those aren't made anymore.

Reactions: Washed-Up
My guess is that when you last pulled your stove out of the fireplace for cleaning, when you pushed in back in, the stove went in too far and the lid will not fully close. The fix would be to get some more seperation between the surround and the lid and the switch will work. You probably won't even have to undo the latches on the rails. just yank it an inch.

On the temp sensor switch, I don't think that even would trip until after the start up sequence is complete. You can get this part from Grainger for 9 bucks if you cross reference the part numbers. I don't think that's the problem.

I have this stove now for 11 years and it isn't hastle free by any stretch. I have replaced everything except the ignitor and agitator motor. Even the firebox liner.

The manual says that a #4 flash code can indicate 2 different things:
-It can indicate that the high temp switch is tripped (as Vinny stated above).
-It can also indicate that the hopper lid is open. On my free standing M55, the hopper lid switch is activated by a small magnet attached to the lid. This magnet can come loose which will cause this issue. Here's what the manual says:

"Note: The Control Panel is located underneath the units Cast Hopper Lid which is attached to a safety switch that will immediatley stop the auger. The switch will stop operation of the stove and display a #4 flash code if the lid is not closed within two minutes."

So you may want to look for that magnet and make sure it's activating the switch.Good luck and let us know what you find.

Marc
Hi Marc,

I saw your helpful replies and thought I would reach out for help. My poor m55 (about 2013, woefully under serviced but doing pretty well) decided to call it quiets yesterday. The lid was coming off its rails earlier in the month, and the dealer reluctantly gave me an appointment—-for the end of January. I’m in a drafty old house, and the heating systems can’t keep up, so the stove is essential in cold weather. Windchill this weekend was -20, which qualifies! Was getting the dreaded flashing 4 light.

My helpful friend/handyman took the rails off, which made it easier to open and close the stove, and things were going well. Then suddenly I’m back to the number 4 flashing light, indicating either an overheat or lid not closed. The stove had been on low, so I don’t think that was a problem. After some investigation, I discovered that the magnet on the lid had come off. In a phone consultation with the above friend, he suggested taking away entirely, but that doesn’t seem to be working. I can’t figure out any way to stick that magnet back on the lid—it’s a strong little sucker! I honestly think this may be the main problem here. Any suggestions?

Hope you’re warm out there, and happy MLK Day!

Hello all,
I have a 2015 Enviro M55 FPI, I bought this unit brand new and had installed in 2017, it has ran fine up until last season.

I am getting a flashing #4 light on the unit, I have gone thru all possible troubleshooting for the flashing 4. I have replaced the whole hopper switch, the convection blower, the high limit temp. sensor .
I replaced the daughter board last year, as some of the buttons felt "sticky" again as a precaution. I just got done installing a new motherboard, with again no luck.
I power on the unit, can already hear that it isn't starting its usual startup routine, it never gets to point of pellets dropping, before the flashing light starts.
I have tested just the auger which runs, vacuum lines are clear of kinks, door and ash pan closed tightly and gaskets are in good condition.
I had a small town "tech" try to troubleshoot as well without any luck, he pretty much confirmed what I had already troubleshot and my dealer does not have any techs. for this make.
Thanks.
Hi Lobster, I have the same problem, but I’m sure it’s that the lid isn’t closing. Dual function for #4 light is a pain! My lid was coming off the rails, and no tech available until January 29…grr….so friend took rails out. Prob solved. Until—4 flashing again. The small beaut strong magnet under the lid has fallen off. I think I’m SOOL until tech visit, because I can’t figure out any way to stick it back on. You might want to take the lid off and see if that magnet is still in place.

Anybody got a bright idea of makeshift in the meantime? Duct tape and crazy glue aren’t going to fix this one!

Thanks all,
Judy

Update:
I just stuck the magnet back to the lid, closed it, and —- the pellets are dropping! Hope I can limp along until my appointment.

One note: the store wagged their fingers at me pretty severely, so after this I’ll shell out for that yearly service call..😁

Take the wires off the switch and jump them.
To me, the hopper lid switch is one safety that is not needed
put there for the saps that don't close the lid
Did my brothers after it came loose 4 years ago have never had a problem

Hi Marc,
My helpful friend/handyman took the rails off, which made it easier to open and close the stove, and things were going well. Then suddenly I’m back to the number 4 flashing light, indicating either an overheat or lid not closed. The stove had been on low, so I don’t think that was a problem. After some investigation, I discovered that the magnet on the lid had come off. In a phone consultation with the above friend, he suggested taking away entirely, but that doesn’t seem to be working. I can’t figure out any way to stick that magnet back on the lid—it’s a strong little sucker! I honestly think this may be the main problem here. Any suggestions?
As has been suggested above, you can bypass the lid switch temporarily assuming you feel comfortable with this type of electrical work. Here's the schematic. Just make sure you don't bypass the high temp switch.

Marc

enviro wiring m55.jpg

Hi Marc,

I saw your helpful replies and thought I would reach out for help. My poor m55 (about 2013, woefully under serviced but doing pretty well) decided to call it quiets yesterday. The lid was coming off its rails earlier in the month, and the dealer reluctantly gave me an appointment—-for the end of January. I’m in a drafty old house, and the heating systems can’t keep up, so the stove is essential in cold weather. Windchill this weekend was -20, which qualifies! Was getting the dreaded flashing 4 light.

Hope you’re warm out there, and happy MLK Day!
I am having a flashing light #4 problem too ! only happens when the heat setting is above 2. we have had the convection blower replaced as well as the high heat switch and a good cleaning , any suggestions?

Hello all,

Thanks.
Have you taken the cast fluted fire box liner off and cleaned behind it (#49 in the parts list in the technical manual)? It might be clogged with soot behind it and not allowing ventilation.
BTW: I have the same stove and I need to replace my Daughter Board, but the problem is that I cant figure out how to get to it. How did you change yours?

Ken, You are the man. Thank you so much. I just tried to loosen them and they are so tight I cant get them to budge but I will get them.
I appreciate your help very much.
Have a great week.
---Rod---

Ken, You are the man. Thank you so much. I just tried to loosen them and they are so tight I cant get them to budge but I will get them.
I appreciate your help very much.
Have a great week.
---Rod---
Yeah, between the heat cycles, time and probably a little corrosion it’s not surprising. if you can find a torx bit that you can use on a 1/4” ratchet That will probably help a lot. Just make sure you have the right Torx bit So you minimize the risk of stripping the head. On my stove they are a T20.

Ken

Last edited:
I put a pair of channel locks on the torx screwdriver and broke them loose. I changed out the daughter board and fired it up. It's working like c charm! There was 10 years of pellet dust in that little compartment. I need to seal that up with something to keep the wood dust out.
Thank you again Ken. I appreciate you!

I put a pair of channel locks on the torx screwdriver and broke them loose. I changed out the daughter board and fired it up. It's working like c charm! There was 10 years of pellet dust in that little compartment. I need to seal that up with something to keep the wood dust out.
Thank you again Ken. I appreciate you!
Great that it’s all fixed!