Enviro M55 flame pattern?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My setting is never above '3' and the flame is fairly consistent. Maybe reaches 3/4" what that youtube vid shows.

I do not notice any unbalanced flame either. Unit was bought last winter, just now firing it up for the season. Only complaint is a noisy agitator. And it agitates me.

Threerun said:
My setting is never above '3' and the flame is fairly consistent. Maybe reaches 3/4" what that youtube vid shows.

I do not notice any unbalanced flame either. Unit was bought last winter, just now firing it up for the season. Only complaint is a noisy agitator. And it agitates me.

Threerun,
Have you lubed the agitator with anti-seize? It should be very quiet. I lube mine once a week. If that's not it, you might have some carbon buildup in the burnpot liner that the agitator tines are scraping against. Also, check the chain tension. It should have a slight amount of slack in it.

flynfrfun said:
slls said:
And to think I heat my house with a flame no bigger than a soft ball.

Ha,ha...good point! I liked the Quad 1200i when I was looking for a stove. Seems to be a solid stove with a good reputation. But the M55's flame was so much more pleasing.

It's interesting to see the different burn pot designs. The Quad style appears to use a lot of air to keep the fly ash "flying" so as to keep the burn pot clear. The Enviro has long slots and a lot of them which probably spreads the air flow over a greater area with a lower velocity. This leads to less fly ash and less of a blow torch effect, but then the agitator is used to move the ash out of the pot.

I go for heat, flame is not important to me, wife doesn't even look at the stove. If house is cold, then I hear it.

j-takeman said:
slls said:

:)

Mines bigger than yours! :cheese:

ha ha I go for the small lean burn, fewer pellets.

slls said:
j-takeman said:
slls said:

Doesn't always work out that way. I actually use less now with this beast than what I had used with my bigE or quad. Stove efficiency does play a major role. Unless you like heating the outside.

On average I use less than 30 bags/season since install. Now with my duct mod installed its even less.

I wish there was more data on stove efficiency. I mean true, real word efficiency, not what the mfg claim. Unless you own a stove shop with lots of stoves and like to tinker, this will probably remain a mystery. It would be nice to know that stove X puts out more BTUs/lb of pellets than stove Y.

flynfrfun said:
Threerun said:

Threerun,
Have you lubed the agitator with anti-seize? It should be very quiet. I lube mine once a week. If that's not it, you might have some carbon buildup in the burnpot liner that the agitator tines are scraping against. Also, check the chain tension. It should have a slight amount of slack in it.
No carbon build-up right now- that pot is clean.

What is this ant-seize you speak of? I'm leery to use penetrating oil.

Threerun said:
No carbon build-up right now- that pot is clean.

What is this ant-seize you speak of? I'm leery to use penetrating oil.

The stove should have come with the tube of hitemp grease?

Don't use any oils unless thay are hi temp rated. They will just burn off and do little to help issue!

Best results before use. Clean out both the holes the agitator goes in with a rag to remove ash/junk. Apply grease to the shaft end. Just a small amount. Slide it in as normal.

Make sure chain is not over tightened as "flynfrfun" said. This amplifies any noise from the chain to the agitator.

You can get it at auto parts stores. I'm still using the copper anti-seize tube that came with the stove. Here is one...

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_7652568_0282452627

Put a little dab on the left side of the agitator where it pushes into the hole in the stove. That is more than likely where the squeak is coming from. It is a metal bushing and the anti-seize will lube it. Don't use penetrating oil, it's not thick enough to do any good and is flammable.

Edit: Oops I was typing while J responded. Sorry for the same info.

flynfrfun said:
You can get it at auto parts stores. I'm still using the copper anti-seize tube that came with the stove. Here is one...

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_7652568_0282452627

Put a little dab on the left side of the agitator where it pushes into the hole in the stove. That is more than likely where the squeak is coming from. It is a metal bushing and the anti-seize will lube it. Don't use penetrating oil, it's not thick enough to do any good and is flammable.

Edit: Oops I was typing while J responded. Sorry for the same info.

The more the marrier I'd say. Plus you linked him where to get the good stuff! :) I'm also using the copper never seize. I also put some on my tee cap for easy removal. Just try not to get any on you as its a pain to get off.

I have blocked the left half of the slot in the baffle using some thin tin. The flames are standing up straight a little better, but it hasn't had a really big impact like I thought it would. I'm going to clean my door glass and see if the pattern changes. That will tell me if anything substantial has changed with the airflow.

j-takeman said:
slls said:
j-takeman said:
slls said:

Doesn't always work out that way. I actually use less now with this beast than what I had used with my bigE or quad. Stove efficiency does play a major role. Unless you like heating the outside.

On average I use less than 30 bags/season since install. Now with my duct mod installed its even less.

The Quad has a heat exchanger that goes from top front to bottom diagonal, makes for long exchanger.
Heat does not want to go down, always up, this gives more time for heat exchange. I also modded mine
and got more heat by accident, was doing it for another reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.