Enviro M55 Insert Draft Slide and Combustion Settings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dreadnaught213

Dec 18, 2019
North Central Maryland
Hello All, about 2 months ago we purchased our first Enviro M55C Insert. Love it, great stove however in keeping with some of the other reports on here, i'm definitely having to figure this out more on my own than with the assistance of the re-seller.
My questions at this point:
Do you typically change the combustion air setting at the control panel depending on the heat level that you're running? If I ever figure out where to keep the draft slide, when I put it on 1 there really isn't much of a flame because it's being blown so much.
Second can you set the draft air slide on any heat level or does it have to be 5? (w/o Magnahelic meter). I know the manual says if you're setting it with the meter you have to run on 5 for an hour.

Extra details: When they installed the stove they pulled the draft slide out maybe a 1/8th of an inch (just hardly any silver showing) and he said "yeah that flame looks good". By the end of the week we had soot building up around the glass. Since then I've been trying to figure out various draft settings and reading as much as I can. I am trying to have them come out to and set it using a Magnahelic pressure gauge but I might have to get my own but until then just burning and checking the flame colors. I'm burning super premium pine pellets.

Welcome to the Forum
This may help with your flame

You can adj. your air on any flame setting
But I find it is hard to adj. on 1(or low)
If you use a gauge do it as per the manual
If you are getting hazing at about 3 weeks
your stove is burning very well.

Welcome to the Forum
This may help with your flame

You can adj. your air on any flame setting
But I find it is hard to adj. on 1(or low)
If you use a gauge do it as per the manual
If you are getting hazing at about 3 weeks
your stove is burning very well.

Thanks! I'll check out the video. We definitely are getting hazing wayyy earlier than that so I have a feeling we aren't getting enough air. I cleaned it and ran it in the afternoon on heat level 2 and 3 and had haze and some soot on the top right of the window by the end of the night. I don't own a gauge yet so I'll have to look into that.

I'm sorry I read your post wrong (3 weeks)
Some haze is normal in one week. I find a lot of the air wash
does not get to some parts of the glass
how much fuel(pellets ) are you using in how
much time (eg 1 bag in 24 hours)
Try pulling the air adjustment out a little
more air, less haze. You should not have to
adj.air with every heat setting. With different
types of pellets yes you most likely will have to adjust.

I'm sorry I read your post wrong (3 weeks)
Some haze is normal in one week. I find a lot of the air wash
does not get to some parts of the glass
how much fuel(pellets ) are you using in how
much time (eg 1 bag in 24 hours)
Try pulling the air adjustment out a little
more air, less haze. You should not have to
adj.air with every heat setting. With different
types of pellets yes you most likely will have to adjust.

No problem at all! I appreciate the extra details. I'll keep that in mind. I will need to do some more looking into the time if takes for me to burn a full bag, I have kept up on keeping the hopper full while it was colder. I do think we could burn a full hopper (60lbs) in 24 hour on 1.
Going through this I also didn't think about the fact that opening the draft slide more means the air wouldn't blow harder for the most part, that falls to the combustion air setting.