Enviro M55 Owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tim M.

Dec 31, 2012
Falmouth, ME
So been a minute since I've been on this site. last pellet stove was a Harman Absolute 63 .... loved it. Was living in mid-coast Maine area at the time. My career took me to upstate NY and I enjoyed the no fuss of having natural gas for just about all things heat / cooking related. I now find myself living back in Massachusetts, love the home we bought but built 1988, no natural gas on the street, it has oil baseboard heating 2900 sqft however the saving grace is it has a masonry fireplace which can house a insert ........... the most local of local dealers is an Enviro dealer. I've read just about every thread I can find on here regarding the M55 .... certainly seems to be a reliable heater with not a lot of problems, the maintenance and fixes that do need to be made seem to be not all that extreme.

All that being said hoping to hear more from any current M55 owners ....... are you happy with the stove ? What has been your biggest challenge with it if you have had challenges. In this post COVID world everything is more expensive ..... was quoted $6,300 just for the stove without installation which seems higher (not extraordinarily higher but higher) than what some advertised pricing is from some other dealers .... looks like depending on geography you can get these for about $5900 - $6100.

Don't have an M55 myself but for 3 years I was a service tech for a local Enviro dealer
Do you remember the Maytag Man how lonely he was that's, for the most part, That's an Enviro tech .
Enviros are well put together and have few problems and when there is a problem there
service manuals cover the solution and repairs are quick and precise. Like I said I don't
have an M55 but I have a Max + to heat my shop in the 8 years I have had it all that has
ever been done is feed it and clean it my fe 3 is in its 21-year and only ever needed a circulation fan
As you can see I am partial to Envrio Ok Harman people let at me

I have an M55 insert and I can say that it’s VERY well built. I do all my own cleaning and maint, it’s been very reliable, and easy to clean and maintain.

Ken

I have had mine since 2010. It has been very reliable. If you get a good dealer, then the experience will be better. If you get a bad dealer, then it can turn into a headache if you need support or if they install it incorrectly. This is very important and you can't just trust the dealer and installers to do it right. Download the service manual and install manual and double check that they are doing it right.

Of course, I can't speak to the current quality of the stoves Enviro makes now, so may be look for the newer threads of Enviros and judge by yourself.

I have worked on many M55 units and they are very well built. Some of the replacement parts are expensive like the exhaust blower and lots of parts to keep clean in the firebox like the fuel stirrer. If you are burning different fuels like corn and cherry pits then I would definitely recommend it. If you are only burning wood pellets those extra parts are not needed and a Stove like a Harman or Quadrafire with less parts to clean and good reliable replacement parts that are a little less expensive would be recommended.
One example
Since corn has a high flash temperature the M55 has a high wattage igniter and air pump to get the fire started and works very well. For pellets the Harmans have a 15 fin igniter that is trans mounted under the burn pot and the Quadrafire has the famous loop igniter that is another simple but effective design that are far less expensive to replace. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Heat monster. A pain to clean,or repair, as don says.
In todays economy, is it smart to spend that kind of money going into winter? I would look for a used unit.

Heat monster. A pain to clean,or repair, as don says.
In todays economy, is it smart to spend that kind of money going into winter? I would look for a used unit.
100% Agree - Putting new parts into a used Harman, Quadrafire or even Enviro will make them work like brand new!
Just like a new car, once you start using a Brand new shinny stove it is a dirty old stove and looses almost half of it’s value!! !!!

Last edited:
100% Agree - Putting new parts into a used Harman, Quadrafire or even Enviro will make them work like brand new!
Just like a ca once you start using a Brand new shinny stove it is a dirty old stove and looses almost half of it’s value!!!
Hiya Don, hope you and family are doing well. OK, here,