Enviro M55 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohbix

Burning Hunk
Feb 13, 2009
OH
Hi all. Am considering a 2009 model of this stove. I have a Bixby, throws great heat, but the convection fan is loud (air movement, not the fan itself). This stove is very quiet, but in an hr of running on level 5, minimal temp rise. Air velocity blowing from stove very weak compared to the Bix. A forum search brought up a topic regarding a turbo fan and adjustable auger plate for this stove. Question, are those modifications now standard on newer M55s? If not, how well does this stove heat your space? If I do go w/ this stove, how loud is the turbo fan? Another idea I have is to get a small footprint stove and install that in another room. House is small, but very narrow low doorways so air movement not great, even w/ ceiling fans.

Never heard a Bixby so I can't compare them.
My June 2011 M55 heats my 900sq ft house with ease.
Usually run on heat level 3 bump to 4 if real cold/windy outside.
Trim settings are usually on 3/3
My convection blower is the newer "Turbo" one
Here is an older thread showing the difference and R/R procedure
Older one had squareish motor new is round.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ashing-enviro-m55-cant-reset-all-fixed.79108/

My stove is 5' away from TV in living room when running have to bump TV volume up 2 notches.

I use a 4" quiet muffin fan at ankle level to move cool air back toward the stove.
This helps balance the house heat.

If you are getting weak convection air from heat exchanger, have you cleaned the convection path.
The convection blower is easy to remove for cleaning from the right side of stove.
I use a dozen or so Q-tips on the blower vanes.
While blower is out run a cleaning brush down each heat exchanger tube and in the convection plenum.
Also ensure the rear panel is not completely packed with hair/dust/etc.

And since you will have all the panels off the stove go ahead and do a full deep cleaning. ;)

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

I got an M55 insert last year. The fan is not that loud. My stove is right underneath the TV. I have to bump up the volume a notch maybe 2. I'm heating 1500 sf on one level. Last night it got down to 30 degrees or so. On heat lvl 2 and feed trim 3, the living room was 74 and the bedrooms on the opposite end of the house were 70. I have only run the stove on level 5 in order to calibrate it with a manomener. One hour at lvl 5 had my living room over 80 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.