Enviro M55C

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The dirty glass and ash and unburnt pellets in the pan look about normal to me, within the range of the M55. It could be your house is really air tight and your stove is not getting enough air flow - try opening a window and see if that makes a difference in the burning.
Maybe an OAK will make a difference if your house is tight
but try a window open a little first as Vinny 11950 said

Hello. I am a wood burner interested in pellet stoves. All the little quirks I read about on here has me on the fence.
Why is the rope gasket sagging like that inside the door? Maybe an optical illusion? Supposed to be like that?
Doesn’t look right to me.

TWilk, there are two doors, an outer cast decorative, and an inner steel with the glass and gasket, I think the photo you are referencing has the outer door open behind the inner door, optical illusion

Regarding the quirks, I will say that besides a minor issue with the thermostat in my first year, this stove has run pretty much flawless into my fifth year. I picked up a Vermont Castings Vigilant this season for a backup in the basement, and it is a lot of work to keep it going. I can tell you I appreciate the pellet stove more, I can go a couple few weeks without doing anything more than dump pellets in it and it keeps chugging

Regarding the quirks, I will say that besides a minor issue with the thermostat in my first year, this stove has run pretty much flawless into my fifth year. I picked up a Vermont Castings Vigilant this season for a backup in the basement, and it is a lot of work to keep it going. I can tell you I appreciate the pellet stove more, I can go a couple few weeks without doing anything more than dump pellets in it and it keeps chugging
I hear that man. My little cast wood stove needs a lot of tending too. It’s not too big of a deal cause the boiler comes on and the baseboards get warm, and I also use an electric convection heater when it’s really cold.

Pellet stoves are very cool and intriguing. I know I will probably appreciate one when I’m older. One downside is the price of pellets by the pallet. In my situation, it wouldn’t make sense at the moment.
I do want to eventually have a second stove, maybe a pellet. It would be nice to have long burn times.
Sorry for derailing your train.
Thank you for your input.

Bill
I am talking combustion trim.

Vinny
Thank you for your reply that pits me at some ease.
I agree with you about more air flow out the chimney seems that less heat in the stove.

Another note is I have requested a service call about the noise that occasionally comes from the stove. I think it is just the auger and from what I have read here on the forum is kinda normal. But the service person comes I plan on leaving a note with the wife of things to ask. One being the noise that they wound hear wile here cause it's not to often I hear it. The others will be flame pattern, air control damper and combustion trim speeds. Lastly just about the overall install.

Thank you all again for you time and knowledge.
I'll keep the updates coming in as I get them.

Bill
But the service person comes I plan on leaving a note with the wife of things to ask. One being the noise that they wound hear wile here cause it's not to often I hear it. The others will be flame pattern, air control damper and combustion trim speeds. Lastly just about the overall install.

I don't mean to be a jerk here, but get ready to be frustrated just because there is a high probability that you already know and care more about that stove than the service person they send out. Unless you really trust them, don't let them work on the stove without you being there, even then don't let them work on it. The stove sounds like it is working fine, so why mess with it.

So what type of noise are you hearing? could it be the agitator squeaking as the shaft rotates in the bearing or the agitator scraping the liner as the the carbon builds up.

Long time M55C-FS owner here.
I agree with Vinny.

Dirty glass on left upper 1/4 after a day of burning is normal for a M55.
Your amount of ash after 2 day burning looks about right for an OK pellet (ie; not doug fir pellets)
Flame looks oxygen starved..Could be tight house/lack of OAK or restriction in exhaust venting.
OAK is required by MFG in "Airtight" homes and Mobile homes.(Page 10 of Enviro Service Manual) Your installer "cheaped" out on that installation.

I have never used a log set but would guess they would be an ash catcher PITA.

If you find your exhaust venting is un-obstructed (4" vent right?)
then,
You should invest/borrow in a manometer to get the manufacturer recommended Firebox Negative Pressure range of between .15-.17 inches of water column after running 1 hour on heat level 5. This tells you how to set the sliding vent damper correctly

Looks like a nice install and is a beautiful stove.

---Nailer---

Reactions: johneh
Thank you for your input nailer. I will be installing a OAK shortly. I don't like anything I see online so I will be making my own at work this week.

Here is my 36 hour update pics
IMG_3714.JPG
IMG_3715.JPG
IMG_3716.JPG
IMG_3717.JPG

I do have a fair amount of unburned pellets in the ash pan.

I had forgotten this until cleaning my stove yesterday, and that is the pellet type setting on the stove controls how often the stirrer rod turns. Premium setting turns the rod every 30 minutes for about 1.5 minutes. Regular setting turns the rod more often - turning the rod more often results in more unburnt pellets being dumped into the bin. Also, if the stove is unplugged it resets to Regular setting, so you have to switch it back to premium. And I believe you can only switch when the stove is off, not while it is running.