Enviro M55i damper question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

miteclipse

Burning Hunk
Mar 8, 2013
Hughesville, MD
Recently had an M55i installed in our new home. Picked this over the Harman. Installer did a test burn, which went great. My question is regarding the damper slider. The manual doesn’t say which direction you use to open/close.

So if I pull the damper out (left), does that give or reduce air flow.

Thanks

pull it out to open
push it in to close
After you get the stove warm adjust for best flame
leave it there unless you change pellets and the flame needs adjustment .
Here is the flame and how it should look
This is for a Maxx they don't have one for the m55 but they are very much the same

M55 insert damper rod is usually about 1/2-3/4 out for best flame/burn. Still best to set with a meter on high, but that will get you close.
Congrats on the new stove...

I think right now it has 1/2 out. Once I get burning, I’ll get used to all the adjustments. Installer had to set the feed rate to 3 as it came from the factory at setting five.

M55 insert damper rod is usually about 1/2-3/4 out for best flame/burn. Still best to set with a meter on high, but that will get you close.
Congrats on the new stove...
Question, do you mean pull the rod all the way out then set at one of these marks? Or is it 1/2-3/4 out from the opening (push rod in then measure)

Push the rod all the way in. Pull the rod out 1/2 to 3/4 of the rod pulled out
This is your starting point, adjust the rod for your best flame. Different pellets
want different amounts of combustion air See this video

This also applies to the M55

Thanks my issue, which is caused by poor heat pellets, is that the flame is good however mediocre heat. I push the rod in so that heat is not lost through the vent. In turn, more soot build up on the glass. I put in some softwoods in with the rod half way. Way more heat and glass build up is what I expect.

I always want the most air to reduce glass build up without losing heat through the vent.

M - On my M55i about 1/2 way seems about the best. I will say that it’s a little tricky to get the setting correct visually because of the way the flames come out of the burn pot on this particular stove. You seem to have a grasp of it and I agree with your approach. And yes, you certainly want the damper closed as much as possible while still giving the correct flame And heat.

Ken

Picture attached, damper 1/2, heat level 3, feed/combustion on 3. Stove has been on since 4pm yesterday

1146BB46-7C05-41CB-AFDF-BEBD01A9393B.jpeg

Reactions: stovelark
Another question, I noticed this morning a lot of exhaust smell outside. Sometimes I will smell this. I was able to see little rant black smoke coming from the pipe. Gradually I’ve seen the rain end cap turn black from brand new.

Does this mean I need to pull out the rod for more air? I turned the feed rate to 2 as the pellets I’m using are smaller to see if that helps

If you are seeing smoke then there is not enough combustion air
pull the rod a little to get a good burn No smoke and the glass stays cleaner longer
wood smoke smell is normal after all you are burning wood