EPA Updated list of 595 Certified Stoves for 2020

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The list posts all wood heaters legal to sell in the USA until May 15, 2020. This means the list includes stoves tested prior to March 16, 2015 that are under 4.5 gr/hr. Stoves tested when the new rule was introduced, are now required to test to specific test methods in the rule. Example, for cordwood burning heaters, Method 28R.

If you look closely at the list, there is a column for whether or not a heater meets the full requirements of 2020 (furthest to the right). A few months ago, that list totaled 38 wood and pellet heaters.

You have to be very careful how you sort the data, lest you exclude some heaters.

Here is the list starting with the cleanest......
https://cfpub.epa.gov/oarweb/woodst...erms=&searchtype=advanced&sortby=EmisRateSort

The list posts all wood heaters legal to sell in the USA until May 15, 2020. This means the list includes stoves tested prior to March 16, 2015 that are under 4.5 gr/hr. Stoves tested when the new rule was introduced, are now required to test to specific test methods in the rule. Example, for cordwood burning heaters, Method 28R.

If you look closely at the list, there is a column for whether or not a heater meets the full requirements of 2020 (furthest to the right). A few months ago, that list totaled 38 wood and pellet heaters.

You have to be very careful how you sort the data, lest you exclude some heaters.

Here is the list starting with the cleanest......
https://cfpub.epa.gov/oarweb/woodstove/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.searchresults&manufacturersid=0&heatoutputupper=100000&heatoutputlower=0&lu_appliancetypesid=0&lu_appliancesubtypesid=0&lu_fueltypesid=0&recs2display=10&emissionrate=0 grams/hr - 10 grams/hr&efficiencytested=0 - 100&bturange=0 BTUs - 100000 BTUs&z_outofproduction=0&searchterms=&searchtype=advanced&sortby=EmisRateSort
Thanks for explaining that!

Here are the 2 certified forced air wood furnaces...and word on the street is that the first one on the list has to retest due to not meeting the full requirements of the test parameters.
upload_2019-8-7_16-23-54.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I exported the list as of today. There are 82 wood stoves that meet the 2020 requirements. These include crib fuel tested, cord wood tested heaters that are non catalytic, hybrid or catalytic.

I spoke to QuadraFire this afternoon, and they said that the Explorer series will not be redesigned to meet the 2020 regs and so will be discontinued. They said they had no immediate plans for a cast replacement.

I see that the entire line of Jotul inserts sold in the US are not 2020 compliant. Do you all figure that new models will be introduced or that they will reconfigure the current models?

I wonder why the Blaze King Ashford 30.1 doesn’t meet the 2020 requirements and the 30.2 does. Is there a chance that my city will request that I change my wood stove even though the 30.1 is below 1g/h?

Is there a chance that my city will request that I change my wood stove even though the 30.1 is below 1g/h?
This list is US EPA and only affects USA...although I am sure that they would love to take over the world...:rolleyes:
Do you guys have strict stove emissions regs there?

Last edited:
I wonder why the Blaze King Ashford 30.1 doesn’t meet the 2020 requirements and the 30.2 does. Is there a chance that my city will request that I change my wood stove even though the 30.1 is below 1g/h?
The 30.1 was tested to method 28 in 2014. The 30.2 was tested to method 28R. R means revised.

Federal and state regulations typically apply to NEW SOURCE PERFORMANCE STANDARDS. That means new products introduced by manufacturers.

You're good!

Reactions: coutufr
This list is US EPA and only affects USA...although I am sure that they would love to take over the world...:rolleyes:
Do you guys have strict stove emissions regs there?
Not completely accurate. Several provinces in Canada adhere to EPA regulations. Most abide by EPA requirements, a couple do not.

In Montreal we had a new regulation prohibiting since October 1st 2018 the use of wood stoves not certified by CSA/B415.1-10 or having emissions above 2,5 g/h unless there is a power outage for more than 3 hours. The use of any wood stoves is prohibited if there is a smog alert.

In Montreal we had a new regulation prohibiting since October 1st 2018 the use of wood stoves not certified by CSA/B415.1-10 or having emissions above 2,5 g/h unless there is a power outage for more than 3 hours. The use of any wood stoves is prohibited if there is a smog alert.
Maybe this is the case because it’s a city. Honestly, I imagine there’s worse culprits of air pollution other than wood stoves there, but I could be wrong.

It makes sense to only test the latest version. Even if prior versions pass, there is no point in going to the high expense of testing if they are no longer sold.

Wood smoke is a major problem during winter in cities. Most people don’t know how to properly use their wood stoves. They burn wet wood or close down the air intake so much that it smolders for hours. When there is no wind the smoke accumulates at ground level. Our house are all built on 5000-6000 sqft pieces of land so there is a potential for hundreds of chimneys to create pollution when it is really cold out. Fortunately electricity is cheap here and people are too lazy or busy to heat their houses with wood so even without this law the problem was localized to specific parts of the city and it doesn’t really bother most people. Personally I need to have a wood stove to be happy in life. With all the firewood I have in my small yard most of my neighbors must think I am crazy but nobody told me anything so far ;)

Last edited:
Thank you...I'm very familiar with those regulations and it's always a great idea to share restrictions such as yours. A great number of visitors to this site look for just this type of information.

Is there any other places in North America banning the use of wood stoves in a similar way? In the rest of Quebec there is no such laws as far as I know.

Last edited:
Fairbanks AK has significant air quality issues in FNSB with numerous burn curtailment, Puget Sound in WA state has had issues, Libby, MT, Yakima, Portola Ca etc.

What state agencies, Fed Reg and industry do is work together to provide incentives for users of old stoves to upgrade to newer, cleaner burning models. We call that Stove Changeouts. These have also been conducted in Canada.

It’s not just cities either but huge swaths or rural land like 100 miles from the cities that get lumped into our western Washington burn bans.

Reactions: BKVP
It’s not just cities either but huge swaths or rural land like 100 miles from the cities that get lumped into our western Washington burn bans.
Yes, some of them are inversion bowls created by our local topography. And our cities and marine traffic create a lot of pollution that gets trapped in this bowl. It amazes me how on a clear winter day I can look at Rainier and see a blanket of smog sitting around the base. Libby, MT has a similar issue. Rural Darrington is one of the worst in WA state.

Yes, some of them are inversion bowls created by our local topography. And our cities and marine traffic create a lot of pollution that gets trapped in this bowl. It amazes me how on a clear winter day I can look at Rainier and see a blanket of smog sitting around the base. Libby, MT has a similar issue. Rural Darrington is one of the worst in WA state.

Other times it is just that the (city centric) folks issuing these burn bans are too lazy to better define the geographical area of the ban. Perhaps correctly assuming that suburban residents don't know exactly where they live. Instead choosing to ban burning in giant sloppy regions just because of pollution occuring at one spot deep in the city. They don't even measure pollution away from the city.

"I can look at Rainier and see a blanket of smog sitting around the base" You live west of the city. Are you sure you aren't just looking towards the mountain through the city pollution? We don't get smog up here unless it is blowing in from eastern washington or CA fires.

Sometimes one can't see the smog when in it. There is an air quality measuring site at Enumclaw (yes I know, King County) that does measure near the base of Rainier. Also one in Puyallup, south hills. I've seen them report serious smog in winter. FWIW, our view of Rainier is looking somewhere between Federal Way and Tacoma.

Reactions: Highbeam