Epoxy recommendations for re-hanging maul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
After about 30 cords, the epoxy holding the fiberglass core handle to the 8 lb maul is breaking up. I did it in when I pounded on the back of the maul with the sledge over the years.

Looking for recommendations for a tough epoxy to use to stick it back together.

Having played with various epoxies over the years, they all pretty well will do the jobs as long as they are mixed properly. The kits with the dual syringe work pretty well. Just realize that epoxy has low viscosity unless modified, it will leak and seep into any gap so when you install the "dam" at the bottom seam between the handle and the head, it has to be tight or otherwise it will leak out and make a mess. FYI even though it doesnt smell nasty, ti can give folks contact dermatitus, its best to use rubber gloves when handling it as eventually you can become allergic to it.

Definitely clean out the gap well and hit it with degreaser as it doesnt bond well to grease.

slow cure epoxy. Not the 5-30 minute type. Roughen up the inside of the head as well as the shaft. I've
cut horizontal grooves in the head to give the glue some xtra grip.
Peakbagger's right...the stuff flows like water, so make sure u tape up the bottom of the maul/handle so
nothing leaks out.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
After about 30 cords, the epoxy holding the fiberglass core handle to the 8 lb maul is breaking up. I did it in when I pounded on the back of the maul with the sledge over the years.

Looking for recommendations for a tough epoxy to use to stick it back together.

What brand is your maul? Some have unlimited lifetime warranties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slow cure epoxy. Not the 5-30 minute type. Roughen up the inside of the head as well as the shaft. I've
cut horizontal grooves in the head to give the glue some xtra grip.
Peakbagger's right...the stuff flows like water, so make sure u tape up the bottom of the maul/handle so
nothing leaks out.
It's all good these days, even the quick cure. Epoxies have come a very long way in 15 years.

I have found nothing better than Scotch-Weld.
Here is one made to work well with wood. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WXFKBY/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Here is the product selection guide to choose your own.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...0815+8710979+8711017+8713609+3294857497&rt=r3

It is pricey, but I have always been impressed with it.

I would blast the area out a few days before with brake cleaner to make sure there are no residual oils. It is all about the prep.

What brand is your maul? Some have unlimited lifetime warranties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it's a Bobo. Pretty sure no lifetime warranty.

If it were a Fiskars otoh, I'd have me a new one already. They recently sent me a new lopper blade, no questions asked.