Equinox or Blaze king...output differences?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manatarms

Sep 11, 2009
Northern NJ
Hi guys,

Another newbie here. i've gleaned through the site over the last few month...excellent content! Anyway I'm in the market for a nice giant stove to heat my house this winter. 3000 sf contemporary with open 1st floor and cathedral ceilings which open up nicely to the 2nd. I'm planning on installing the stove in the room with the cathedral ceiling with the intention of having the heat rise up to the second floor to heat the bedrooms. If necessary, I can install ceiling fans to move the air, or turn on the A/C in "fan only" mode. The A/c returns are at the top of the cathedral ceiling area, and my guess is it would do a good job of distributing the heat throughout the house. I'm not sure what it will cost to run the fan this way.

My wife and I have been looking at stoves for the last year and she REALLY likes the look of the Equinox. We're also looking at the Blaze King King however the wife thinks it is too industrial looking (i.e. ugly). Now in all fairness, we only saw the full pedestal (ultra) BKK in person and I believe the parlor model of the BKK might be more appealing to her.

I know I'm comparing two different animals here....soapstone not cat vs. cast iron cat stove. However, these appear to be the only two stoves in this size category. I've read quite a bit on this site about soapstone vs. Cast and cat vs. non-cat. I'm confident we could live equally well with either beast.

I guess it is really going to boil down to performance. Assuming I use quality, well seasoned oak, maple and birch, can I really expect to get 12-15 hour burn times from either of these units? Fuel being equal...will I get the same heat output from either unit?

Finally, is there any performance difference between the Ultra and the Parlor?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your input.

-Mark

The blaze king line is not made of cast iron. They are plate steel which is good from a utility point of view but not as pretty as cast iron. You can easily get those burn times out of a BK but you will be lucky to get 12 with the hearthstone. This is due to the cat.

the equinox will not let you down.. its a man stove that makes women quiver: 689 lbs of soapstone and cast with a firebox a child could crawl into and play in: thermal mass, clean burn, huge capacity: if thats what she wants, then you got a good wife: get the 'nox!!!

Get the lady what she wants. Hell of a stove and warmer than you sleeping on the couch. Ain't gonna burn for fifteen hours but load that big boy up with good wood and heat will still be coming off of it fifteen hours later.

Guys,

Thanks for the help. My understanding is that the BKK parlor model lacks the convection deck...what does the convection deck do?

-Mark

Manatarms said:
Guys,

Thanks for the help. My understanding is that the BKK parlor model lacks the convection deck...what does the convection deck do?

-Mark
You can put a convection deck on any BK. I put one on mine and with the blower it helps direct heat.

Tough decision, I like both the heat from soapstone and the more controllable long even heat you get from a cat stove. Too bad Hearthstone didn't put a cat in that Equinox. If I had to chose I think I would pick the BK Parlor model for the higher efficiency and long burns, but like your wife, mine has the same taste and really doesn't like the looks of the BK.

The convection deck or sides keep the radiant heat at bay and allow for closer clearances. You won't get the searing steel heat blast feel you would with the Parlor model.

Pyro,

Now if only woodstock made a bigger stove.

-mark

Manatarms said:
Pyro,

Now if only woodstock made a bigger stove.

-mark

They are, but they don't know when it will be out. I will be the first in line when it does. :)

I have to agree with the others. Both will throw enough heat to keep you warm. Visually, I agree with your wife, the EQ is a sharp looking stove. From a performance standpoint, the BKK is really in a league of its own.

The convection deck only comes on the Ultra model. The Ultra model has a different shape and design compared to the Classic & Parlor. The flat sides on the Ultra are shielded so the convection deck is needed to get the heat out of the stove. I personally think the Parlor model is fairly attractive compared to their other options.

My guess is even if WS makes a larger stove (and I've also heard they are doing so), it will most likely not be as large as the EQ or the BKK. I'm guessing 3 cu ft or less.

Let's get real.I don't think the largest Blaze King will heat 3000 sq ft.Check the specs again.I think I read that the Equinox will.So if you can afford it go with the Equinox.I'd also put in a pipe damper for longer heat and burn times with the Equinox.

The BKK is rated for 2000+ sq ft. "Wolfkiller" is heating 2500 sq ft in North Pole with his BKK, so I'd imagine 3000 sq ft is doable in NJ. I can't imagine getting much (if any) more heat out of the EQ.

Wet1 said:
The BKK is rated for 2000+ sq ft. "Wolfkiller" is heating 2500 sq ft in North Pole with his BKK, so I'd imagine 3000 sq ft is doable in NJ. I can't imagine getting much (if any) more heat out of the EQ.
Yes,the Equinox is rated at 3000+ sq ft.Don't forget the pipe damper it'll give you more outputs.

Rich L said:
Let's get real.I don't think the largest Blaze King will heat 3000 sq ft.Check the specs again.I think I read that the Equinox will.So if you can afford it go with the Equinox.I'd also put in a pipe damper for longer heat and burn times with the Equinox.

If the BKK can't heat it, then it can't be done with a wood stove.

Bigg_Redd said:
Rich L said:

I agree with a previous post, look at the specs. The BKK is no powerhouse. It is big and burns a long time but it doesn't make much heat according to the specs.

Highbeam said:
Bigg_Redd said:
Rich L said:

I agree with a previous post, look at the specs. The BKK is no powerhouse. It is big and burns a long time but it doesn't make much heat according to the specs.
Since when do we put any stock in comparing manufactures specs for sq footage or BTU output? I fail to see how the stone EQ can put out significantly (if any) more heat than the steel BKK. If someone is going to stand over the two 4 cu ft stoves feeding the fires, I'd have my money on the steel stove. Besides, I'd be very leery of over-firing the EQ since the stone is known to crack at higher temps. Regardless, either stove should be capable of throwing more heat than most homes will allow to be easily distributed. I'd still give the overall performance advantage clearly to the BKK, but the EQ is a real looker.

Manatarms said:
Hi guys,

Another newbie here. i've gleaned through the site over the last few month...excellent content! Anyway I'm in the market for a nice giant stove to heat my house this winter. 3000 sf contemporary with open 1st floor and cathedral ceilings which open up nicely to the 2nd. I'm planning on installing the stove in the room with the cathedral ceiling with the intention of having the heat rise up to the second floor to heat the bedrooms. If necessary, I can install ceiling fans to move the air, or turn on the A/C in "fan only" mode. The A/c returns are at the top of the cathedral ceiling area, and my guess is it would do a good job of distributing the heat throughout the house. I'm not sure what it will cost to run the fan this way.

My wife and I have been looking at stoves for the last year and she REALLY likes the look of the Equinox. We're also looking at the Blaze King King however the wife thinks it is too industrial looking (i.e. ugly). Now in all fairness, we only saw the full pedestal (ultra) BKK in person and I believe the parlor model of the BKK might be more appealing to her.

I know I'm comparing two different animals here....soapstone not cat vs. cast iron cat stove. However, these appear to be the only two stoves in this size category. I've read quite a bit on this site about soapstone vs. Cast and cat vs. non-cat. I'm confident we could live equally well with either beast.

I guess it is really going to boil down to performance. Assuming I use quality, well seasoned oak, maple and birch, can I really expect to get 12-15 hour burn times from either of these units? Fuel being equal...will I get the same heat output from either unit?

Finally, is there any performance difference between the Ultra and the Parlor?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your input.

-Mark
Yo Manatram,to make a long story short do us all a favor and contact Blaze King and Hearthstone and see what they say about your situation,Whew and thanks.Oh yeah could you get back to us with the updates.

Wet1 said:
Highbeam said:
Bigg_Redd said:
Rich L said:

Since when do we put any stock in comparing manufactures specs for sq footage or BTU output? I fail to see how the stone EQ can put out significantly (if any) more heat than the steel BKK. If someone is going to stand over the two 4 cu ft stoves feeding the fires, I'd have my money on the steel stove. Besides, I'd be very leery of over-firing the EQ since the stone is known to crack at higher temps. Regardless, either stove should be capable of throwing more heat than most homes will allow to be easily distributed. I'd still give the overall performance advantage clearly to the BKK, but the EQ is a real looker.
I have the Hearthstone Mansfield and The Largest Blaze king.The Blaze has the bigger fire box however the Mansfield gives off more heat just not as long.So I'm thinking that the Equinox might give more heat than the Mansfield and therefore out heat the Blaze King though not heat as long.Go with the Equinox !

Wow! Thanks for all of the responses!

Rich L, I've read a few comments in the forums that the Equinox will not obtain extended burn times without the use of a pipe damper. My other concern with soapstone is that I might accidentally over fire it. Some on the forums have suggested that the EQ can’t crank out the same heat as a steel stove because of the 600 degrees max temp restriction. I’ve also read that when asking the EQ to crank out some serious heat the wood consumption is pretty high (especially without the pipe damper) in comparison to other stoves.

Obviously these comments are anecdotal, but it’s got me thinking. Nobody seems to make ANY negative comments about the BKK..other than the looks. I’ve also read that the BKK is easy to keep adjusted and will get only equally well just cruising or cranking.
Does anyone have anything negative to say about the BKK?

-mark

Manatarms said:

Not only is it industrial looking, it is rather tall and makes its presence known in even a big room. The bottom of the load door sits almost as high as the top load on our old VC Encore. However, given how it is designed and constructed, I think we may have found our 24/7 October to May heating appliance.

Manatarms said:

Rich L, I've read a few comments in the forums that the Equinox will not obtain extended burn times without the use of a pipe damper. My other concern with soapstone is that I might accidentally over fire it. Some on the forums have suggested that the EQ can’t crank out the same heat as a steel stove because of the 600 degrees max temp restriction. I’ve also read that when asking the EQ to crank out some serious heat the wood consumption is pretty high (especially without the pipe damper) in comparison to other stoves.

Obviously these comments are anecdotal, but it’s got me thinking. Nobody seems to make ANY negative comments about the BKK..other than the looks. I’ve also read that the BKK is easy to keep adjusted and will get only equally well just cruising or cranking.

-mark
I like my Blaze King and the Mansfield which was eating up my wood until I put the damper in.Now I get about 12 hrs of heat from the Mansfield which is rated to heat up to 2500 sq ft.,the Blaze 2000 + sq ft,and Equinox 3000 sq ft.Man your heating 3000 sq ft me I'm heating about 2500 sq ft drafty house with two stoves when it gets really cold.I would say get more power not less.In my years I've used 4 soapstone stoves and never overfire any of them.I think overfiring is the negligence of the operator.The choice of course is yours.

Manatarms said:

-mark

They're ugly, have an 8" flue, and with the flue exiting near the middle of the stove top they have goofy clearance requirements. Meaning that if you have your flue installed for a normal stove the BKK might be too close to the wall and you need an offset but BK doesn't want offsets until 36" above the flue.

Highbeam said:
They're ugly, have an 8" flue, and with the flue exiting near the middle of the stove top they have goofy clearance requirements. Meaning that if you have your flue installed for a normal stove the BKK might be too close to the wall and you need an offset but BK doesn't want offsets until 36" above the flue.

and they call for double wall

Installed Equinox last January. It is our first oven. We are extremely pleased with it. It provides plenty of heat (We have 2800 sq ft, 2 stories) and the look of the oven on a cold night is most relaxing. We decided for the softer heat and the ambience of the Equinox. I don't know your positioning of the oven, but, as you can see we put
ours in the middle of the room. The rear soapstone keeps our doorwalled area extremely cozy despite the ceramic floor and all the glass. We looked at different models and are very happy with our choice.

Attachments

• DSC03892.JPG
    DSC03892.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 457
  • DSC03896.JPG
    DSC03896.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 467
Status
Not open for further replies.