Equinox users- how is front loading? and other questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

threepin

Nov 3, 2009
nw mt
Went back to the stove shop today (again) played around more with the stoves I am considering and took a bunch of measurements and a few digital pics.
I looked at:
Oslo
Firelight Cb
Heritage
Mansfield
Equinox

I am planning on putting the stove on the raised hearth of a good size fireplace see https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/45004/
for background- i reattached a photo of the hearth

my measurements seem to indicate that the firelight would have clearance issues with the side door- I have owned one of these before- if the door doesn't open far enough it would be miserable/dangerous- and front loading that stove wouldn't work

I think the oslo is enough smaller that the side door could work- also the doors seem to feel more substantial and give the appearance of sealing better than the firelight-I never liked the front door config on the one we own

The Mansfield is front load so good to go there- not so good on ash pan and visually not bad but not quite up to the heritage or equinox-too the stone color was not as nice

I don't think the equinox side door would open fully, however the front door seems like it would work well for loading- big lip to keep the ashes in ,deep enough for N/S loading or E/W- Is this really the case or does it not work well?

The Heritage would probably work but I am not sure about going down to that firebox size (same with oslo)

I went through the hearthstone models several times and you could tell the progression from mansfield through heritage to Equinox- as the models get newer the operation feels more polished- just handling the doors on the equinox made me want one better ash handling too

My other question for Equinox owners is how well does it really throttle down? Will it burn well with a partial load?

Another advantage to the Equinox the the leveling feet -does the heritage have this?-forgot to look

The mansfield has such a big base to its feet- i feel some shims could be some-what hidden

When I got home I played a bit with powerpoint and overlaid the images I took of the stoves with that of the hearth- definitely the bigger stoves (equinox and firelight seemed more appropriate visually- don't have photoshop- and the results were to crude to post (pride thing)

For an idea of scale the fireplace opening is 58X39 rock and the firebrick is 60X41 and the hearth is 18 inches from the front of the rock face

Thanks for the advice,

Bill

Attachments

• P1030642.jpg
    P1030642.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 657
threepin said:
When I got home I played a bit with powerpoint and overlaid the images I took of the stoves with that of the hearth- definitely the bigger stoves (equinox and firelight seemed more appropriate visually- don't have photoshop- and the results were to crude to post (pride thing)

No such thing...show us the pics.

I have a EQ, I think it will look good with the stone.
My stove likes a full box of wood. If i get the fire going and close the damper & air down the stove will stay at about 350o + for 9 hrs with a spike to around 425o and drop to around 300o in 13hrs. If i crack the air open a bit i can burn for 7hrs at 450+.
The EQ can be burned from the front door and it will be nice to load if its raised up on the hearth .
Some guys say they like to load north and south from the front but all my wood is 24" long so it will take few more years to get to shorter splits .
HS sells a kit for the EQ that locks the door and removes the side handle .
My stove burns much better with a damper you should try to use one with the EQ .
filling the fire box takes a lot of splits . John

threepin said:

For an idea of scale the fireplace opening is 58X39 rock and the firebrick is 60X41 and the hearth is 18 inches from the front of the rock face

Thanks for the advice,

Bill

I'd be concerned about working room with a side door too. But the Equinox is a very nice looking stove. Here's a very crude visualization. I also added a true front loading stove which would fit nicely in there.

Attachments

• hearth_stove.jpg
    hearth_stove.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 599
  • hearth_T6.jpg
    hearth_T6.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 580
No OEM adjustable feet on the heritage. I have a dime stuck under one of the feet to take care of the issue. Your list includes many different stove sizes and outputs. Do you need the heat of the 1900 SF Heritage or of the 3500 SF EQ?

By the looks of that hearth I would fill it with the EQ and it sounds like you already made up your mind.

thanks John

When you say that your stove likes a full box, does that imply that it doesn't do well on a partial load?

When you back it all the way down and use a damper does that really cut the output?
not sure if i would use the locking door kit- it should still be able to open most of the way- and that might be handy-would look better though
if your wood was shorter, which would you prefer- I like the idea of front load , have only owned side or top
Seems to work for all the pe owners

BG

nice work- what did you use to cut out the images so cleanly? Mine were cruder
I did consider the T-6 but the company said it will not quote a safe distance to the Mantle- (she said not intended for into a fireplace,use an insert ), also I believe that the distance from the center of the top exit to the front is bit short-main reason is lower WAF (at least to mine)- I really like the concept though

Highbeam- probably could make due with the Heritage size, but having had 3 ft fireboxes in the past, I got used to the burn time. Too, I don't have enough experience with softwoods- I am used to locust,white oak etc.
Trying to get a good overnight burn (my definition- from the last time I mess with it in the evening till I can still reliably have enough coals left for an easy re-start after 8+ hrs of sleep) without roasting us on transitional days like today- we have long periods spring and fall where the highs get up to the 40's.

Based on comments here and from my sweep- I should be able to get some heat into the rest of the house, particularly after we renovate, so that should help with something larger.

Don't know if I have already made my mind up but the EQ on display could be called "Fat Bastard"- its dead sexy

I used Photoshop. As for the T6, yes, the flue exit probably is a bit further forward, good point. With a blower, I'd have no problem putting one a big fireplace. But good you are watching mantle clearances and true PE does not list this.

WAF is prolly important. So, I'd go with the Mansfield then. 3.2 cu ft and a true front loader.

Yes, I have a few hobbies. My tractor is outside in a torrential rain right now. As soon as it lets up I need to bring in several bucket loads of firewood.

was gorgeous here today hi about 45 some graupel.
my latest project for my b3030 is widening and grading the drive- kind of like bringing a knife to a gunfight but with time it works

That Hearthstone looks waaaayy better. I like my new Homestead. A lot.

S

visually i think that the equinox probably matches the opening the best- I do need to play around with measuring a bit more

anybody got the distance center to center on the adjuster feet- side to side and front to back?- want to make sure I can make it work with the stones

might even build a mock-up- though I don't have that much cardboard around

threepin said:
thanks John

When you say that your stove likes a full box, does that imply that it doesn't do well on a partial load?

When you back it all the way down and use a damper does that really cut the output?
not sure if i would use the locking door kit- it should still be able to open most of the way- and that might be handy-would look better though
if your wood was shorter, which would you prefer- I like the idea of front load , have only owned side or top
Seems to work for all the pe owners

BG

nice work- what did you use to cut out the images so cleanly? Mine were cruder
I did consider the T-6 but the company said it will not quote a safe distance to the Mantle- (she said not intended for into a fireplace,use an insert ), also I believe that the distance from the center of the top exit to the front is bit short-main reason is lower WAF (at least to mine)- I really like the concept though

Highbeam- probably could make due with the Heritage size, but having had 3 ft fireboxes in the past, I got used to the burn time. Too, I don't have enough experience with softwoods- I am used to locust,white oak etc.
Trying to get a good overnight burn (my definition- from the last time I mess with it in the evening till I can still reliably have enough coals left for an easy re-start after 8+ hrs of sleep) without roasting us on transitional days like today- we have long periods spring and fall where the highs get up to the 40's.

Based on comments here and from my sweep- I should be able to get some heat into the rest of the house, particularly after we renovate, so that should help with something larger.

Don't know if I have already made my mind up but the EQ on display could be called "Fat Bastard"- its dead sexy

It seems to me that the stove needs a full box of wood to reach 550o+ and takes 10 to 12 hour to burn down and 4 more hrs to drop to around 300o.

You can burn 4 or 5 splits at a time but you don't get a good secondary burn and don't get much above 350o . It seems like the stove burns alot more wood to heat the house . As it is i feel like choo choo Charley the engineer stoking the EQ with wood all day . The stove takes a lot of wood to fill it . ?Its like throwing 10 splits in to a cave . John

You're looking at some mighty fine looking stoves . . . but it sounds as though you're leaning towards the Equinox. Again, all fine choices in my opinion.

sometimes you're wishy,sometimes washy

actually after talking to some more folks-and doing the cardboard thing I may be leaning toward the mansfield- several people have said it may make a better frontloader, and a nagging fear of too much heat on low and huge wood consumption.

headed to VT for work (stowe) so I am going to see if I can sneak off to the factory.

I use my side door alot with my EQ when burning. Easier to load on the fly. I have yet to fully load mine. 5 good size splits for me will burn 8 hours and have coals for me in the morning. Wjen using the front door you will have some ash build up just inside the door. This will, depending on the draft, come out the ledge. Some may miss and land on the hearth. Are you using the 18" front clearance? If you are close to the edge the ash could end up on your floor or carpet. You cannot go wrong with the EQ. Mine is located in the middle of my family room, so we get heat from all sides. Don't know what heat would get lost up your chimney opening.

Thanks for your insights.

i will try to thoroughly block off the opening at the shelf and at the cap- some would still be lost. Too, I imagine the masonry would absorb a fair amount . I was glad to hear you have success with partial burns. Could the ash at the front be a function of side loading? I wonder if one front loaded whether that would be reduced? How big is your room? Do you have a sense that it just gobbles wood up or that it can idle along and just nuke when necessary. Seems like your climate is somewhat similar to ours.

Here are some pictures of my family room. Our home is 2900 sq ft. and once the house is up to 75 or 76 ( usually 4 logs at full burn - 450-500 degrees) if we cruise at 350 it will hold temp. The ash that builds up on the front is from front logs. When I load at night the ash will be there in the morning. I would imagine if you loaded a little farther back you might avoid the ash problem, though, I think you might still get the occasional flyers.

Attachments

• DSC03840.jpg
    DSC03840.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 481
  • DSC03844.jpg
    DSC03844.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 442
I'm a very new EQ burner so I have very little exp. but from what I have learned is the EQ is very easy to manipulate. I can throw a few small splits on and open it up and it will coast for several hours. I have yet to realy open it up but I have no doubt it will rise to the task. I use both front and side doors. I have wood that is 24" and some that are chucks. Good luck with your project!! :coolsmile:

Thanks for the pics jlow
Very nice-at least what i can tell from the screen of my blackberry
Its nice to hear that people are having success. Throttleing them down
Mansfield is still in the running
Have only seen it in brown with a very
Light stone- did not appeal to me
Why is it the the equinoxes and heritages i see all have darker and greener hues than the mansfield-could you special order the darker color?

I'm pretty much a front loader with my EQ now.......this time of year I'm only dealing with the fire once a day and that's in the eavning. I load thru the front with splits going EW (side to side) and make sure to put a big one tight against the back wall then load her up, burn hot for a while and then turn the damper off. I don't use a pipe damper. Come morning there is enough coal action to start another fire but if it's sunny out I leave it alone and it will be out but just a little warm when I get home the next evening. By doing this I am utilizing the heat stored in the rocks.........which makes me feel good somehow. I use my oil furnace this time of year to take up any slack as it perform well under light heating loads, it's HW radiant floor heat and man are warm floors nice. So far this season I have used a little over a face cord and maybe 30 gallons of oil to heat 2000 sf of not so tight log home. The heating season should end with me using 1 275 gallon tank of oil and 4 full cords of hardwood. I can reduce the oil use but like I said, putting your bare feet on warm oak flooing is very nice and the tile in the bathroom is even nicer.

Smaller fires work well, my advise would be to kindle a fire add 3 splits NS over the kindling and let it burn hot and then either add more and damper down or let it go out and allow the rocks to do their magic. Many small low fires will clog up any chimney, the EQ is no acception, burn it hot with each fire. I will say this stove is very easy to operate well, just start a fire, burn it hot and then turn it down to a low even clean burn with very little fuss.......no green or partially dry wood please, this makes everything harder than it needs to be.

Come winter I still use the front door but on cold night I cram it full NS, this gives me hotter burns with a shorter fire life.....cold nights and days the stove needs loading 3 times for 24 hours, any more and your wasting wood and not taking advantage of hot rocks. Yea, I spill some ash using the front but its no big deal. The ash pan on my EQ works well but there is some ash spillage under the stove when you operate the ash door, no big deal and the pan easily holds a weeks burning so again I am ok with it. The EQ has threaded adjusting feet that would work on your rock hearth.

I think the massive hulk of EQ is tamed when placed inside your huge fireplace.....it looks small in there. The somewhat sharp boxy edge lines of the stove are at odds with the curve of the arch and the round rocks but not so much that I don't like what I see. If it were my setup, I would pick the EQ over the other Hearthstones.

I've found regular length firewood is best as it is most adaptable to different burning senarios, long splits can be handy sometimes but not always.

What a nice looking hearth, it's almost a shame to throw a stove in the hole!

Wet1 said:
What a nice looking hearth, it's almost a shame to throw a stove in the hole!

Exactly what I was thinking! It's a beautiful fireplace designed for big open fires. Shoving a wood stove box in there seems a little forced.......like shoving a square peg in a round hole. Do they make big arched glass front, efficient easy to operate and load fireplace insert that would look more in keeping with the original design.

Status
Not open for further replies.