Eric concerning pipe insulation value

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Eric I was thinking about the pipe insulation and suggest an experiment to see if it makes a difference, or what difference it makes? Initially, I suggested a before and after test of recording the temps coming in and exiting. However thought of another way. Suppose you boost the thermo 3 degrees and time the length the boiler runs to complete the demand. Measure your temps 5 minutes into the cycle. Then insulate the pipes let the thermo settle to near where you had previously started. Boost it again 3 degrees, record the time to meet the demand and 5 minutes in record the exiting temp of the water, same as before. It would be interesting to see the results. From the data conclusions could be arrived at.

Thanks elk. I'll give that a try and let you know what the results were.

Efficiency is an interesting thing. With a heat exchanger, the greater the differential in water temp., the more efficient transfer. On warmer days when the stats in the house are not calling for as much hot water, the two sides of the equation tend to balance out. When that happens there is less heat transfer every time the water circulates, and any inefficiencies in the system, such as inadequate pipe insulation, really start to stack up, I think, as they take their toll every time the water passes through.

Status
Not open for further replies.