ESW NC-13 two questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
I've had mine about 4 days. It was an upgrade from a smaller stove. No problems starting or reaching a good hot burn. I was wondering where others set theirs to cruise. Mine seems to like closer to 600. ESW said the stove performs best around 500-550. I understand each stove is different and the set up along with fuel, and was curious how others run theirs. I ask because at 500 I have smoke out of the stack and weak secondaries at reload. At close to 600, no smoke, medium to strong secondaries. Could be the wood is a little greener since I'm into a new stack now, but it measures around 20%+- on the MM.

Next question. I read a thread about plugging the doghouse/zipper holes.
Is this a good idea? Why or why not?
Will this increase/decrease stove performance or just change the flame pattern?
Currently the zipper air burns a channel through the wood and creates a central flame rather then an even flame across the wood.
I would like the even flame pattern if it will not cause problems with efficiency or make running the stove difficult cuz right now it's a breeze to operate.

Charlie

how are you checking the temperature? I notice that my stove top thermometer is anywhere from 50 - 75 degrees off so my 600 degree burns are really 525 - 550.

I placed a magnet thermo on top center in front of the flue collar. I also have an IR gun I've been using to double check the temp in the same spot with-in a few inches. Am I measuring the temp in the wrong location? The questions are base on the IR readings because the magnet seems to be slower at reading the fast changes from the steel. With good secondaries and no smoke the mag reads 600 and the IR gun at real close to 600, 580* or so, not that big of a difference I guess from what you have bluefrier. I'm really trying to find that range to max out a good clean burn at a longer lower temp. I wanted to know if my set up and wood, would produce similar results to others.

Is the difference between 525 and 580 enough to really shorten a burn time to be worth worrying about? 30min, OK, 1hr or more not so good

I'm sure with a few more days practice I will have a better handle on her, I'm anxious and excited to get a good nights sleep with-out loading at 0400.

your temps seem ok but I'm not sure why you are getting smoke at 500*. Wood maybe? what type of burn times are you getting? how big are the splits? Also try running the stove longer and get it figured out before doing any mods because you might not need it. If you have a coal bed after 7 or 8 hours with hardwood you are doing pretty good and shouldn't expect more.

I have coals at 6 hours now, which for me is great I'm happy with that. I just can't get dialed in. Too much air or not enough, no in-between. Probably a wood problem. I know the wood is not perfect but it's close and that may be the trouble. I can't do the "get it hot, push the rod in all the way and pull it out a 1/4" thing" I have to work to get it right to cruise. I know wood burns on a wave form but sometimes it climbs too high for me, then I adjust and it gets to low. Takes me a while to set it and forget it.

Either way I'm warm and I'm sure I will get it soon enough.

Thanks,
Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.