Ever seen a fireplace like this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzz Saw

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2014
Attica, Ohio
uploadfromtaptalk1426468825596.jpg
Anyone ever seen a fireplace like this? On the right side just under the mantle and at the floor there are two grates. The bottom grate has a fan in it. Is this fireplace built like a zero clearance insert?

Any info or suggestions would be great. I'm going to be buying the house and would like to be able to use this setup.

Thanks

Edit: I put this in the wrong place. Mod can you move it to the right forum? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recirculating setup, pretty common. It probably brings cool air in thru the lower grate, blows out warm air from the upper grate.

I didn't look inside, but is it likely steel or firebrick lined? Does it matter? I'm not sure where to start. Never had a fireplace or even burned wood in a fireplace.

It is probably a steel box but you know there is a really easy way for you to tell what the box is made out of lol. Just kidding but you should have it looked at by a pro before you go any farther and a sweep can also give you some pointers on how to use it

Get a chimney inspection as part of your home inspection clause. This is usually best performed by chimney sweep, and is not expensive at all, on a modern-era unit like that.

Once you're in, then you have to decide whether you're an ambiance burner, or one who wants to heat with wood. That rig you have there will do a great job of heating the room it's in, and with the doors closed, won't be quite as bad as an open fireplace on make-up air requirement. Most open fireplaces will also do a good job of heating the room they're in, but it's always at the expense of rooms farthest from the fireplace, due to the massive make-up air requirements. Either way, expect to chew thru some wood in a fireplace, which is usually fine for the Friday evening ambiance burner.

If you want to actually heat with wood, then pull up a chair and grab a drink... you're one of us.

you should have it looked at by a pro before you go any farther
Exactly. A normal house inspector is probably not equipped to know what to look at for potential problems. Often the biggest problems are hardest to find. Also, check with your insurance company. Some are easy to deal with and some may demand a full inspection by a pro.

If you want to actually heat with wood, then pull up a chair and grab a drink... you're one of us.

I'm in. Been burning wood my whole life, but never used a fireplace. Always used a wood burning furnace in the past. I actually plan on using a furnace for the main heat and the fireplace for the ambience. The wife likes fireplaces [emoji6] .

Reactions: Ashful
Exactly. A normal house inspector is probably not equipped to know what to look at for potential problems. Often the biggest problems are hardest to find. Also, check with your insurance company. Some are easy to deal with and some may demand a full inspection by a pro.

My insurance company, Cincinnati Insurance, does NOT have a problem with the fireplace, or any wood burning appliance for that matter.

It is probably a steel box but you know there is a really easy way for you to tell what the box is made out of lol. Just kidding but you should have it looked at by a pro before you go any farther and a sweep can also give you some pointers on how to use it
This summer I'll get a chimney sweep in to check it out. We have a local place that does a great job and prices are pretty fair, well I think they are fair at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.