1. TDD11

TDD11
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 24, 2016
    Loc:
    Central Ohio
    Thanks... guess I missed that section while re-reading today. Haha

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    brenndatomu likes this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    upload_2018-12-6_18-30-10.png
    upload_2018-12-6_18-31-8.png

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Highbeam likes this.
  3. TDD11

TDD11
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 24, 2016
    Loc:
    Central Ohio
    That was easy! There was quite a bit of fly ash on it, and build up in those back corners on the baffle since I've never followed the HX directions till now.

I verified that the joints on the tee were both good. Thoroughly cleaned the HX tubes, which were nasty. Also cleaned ito the elbow on the back of the stove which has some build up.

By my manometer, I have great draft. I just lit a fire, 230°F flue temp on a cold chimney and I have .05" of draft. This is only 10 minutes into lighting a fire. I still am getting a small whiff of smoke at times.

I haven't opened the door to check for smoke spillage. No ventilation is on, and my basement windows are closed right now.

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    IMO Tundra/HeatPro, Caddy/Max Caddy has a very good design for cleaning/servicing the stove...and easy to establish a draft on a cold chimney with that HX cleanout door too...pop the door open and blow the propane torch or hair dryer in there for a minute...even the most stubborn chimney will start drafting!

5. TDD11

TDD11
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 24, 2016
    Loc:
    Central Ohio
    I am getting .1" of draft right now. But even with the fan off, west basement window wide open, and no other ventilation on in the house, if you open the door I get bad smoke spillage. Either the 5.5 with a little ovalization at the bottom, or the horizontal run in my connector pipe, must be the culprit.

I am contemplating lifting the stove another 8" off of the floor, shortening the SS Tee Snout, and running a short section of pipe diagonally. I know Drolet and other stove makers say that a 90° elbow hurts draft.

Attached Files:

Mrpelletburner likes this.
  6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Good plan

7. sloeffle

sloeffle
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Mar 1, 2012
    Loc:
    Morrow County, Ohio
    I've had my Caddy ( same design ) for 8 years and I've cleaned my HX tubes once. It was the biggest waste of time. Just vacuum them out a couple times a year and you will be good.

brenndatomu likes this.
  8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I had to clean mine every few weeks...not a ton of buildup...but enough to make it worth doing.

sloeffle likes this.
  9. sloeffle

sloeffle
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Mar 1, 2012
    Loc:
    Morrow County, Ohio
    I think we are talking apples and oranges. I'm talking about the tubes with the holes in the firebox. Those technically aren't HX tubes though. ;)

Are you talking about the big HX tubes that the indoor air picks the heat off of ?

10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Ah...yes.

11. sloeffle

sloeffle
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Mar 1, 2012
    Loc:
    Morrow County, Ohio
    Same here, I try to clean them every few weeks or when the furnace isn't running during the heating season.

brenndatomu likes this.
  12. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 8, 2014
    Loc:
    Wisconsin Dells, WI
    I removed the smoke baffle on mine, so I get some spillage somewhat frequently when loading on decent coals. The smoke spillage is less annoying to me than the baffle being in the way. ;lol Although with the Kuuma's you rake all the coals forward before loading, so all those hot coals are right near the door opening.

13. TDD11

TDD11
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 24, 2016
    Loc:
    Central Ohio
    I wondered about installing a small smoke baffle, even a temporary install as a test, in my Tundra. I'm sure it would get annoying - I know my friends whose stoves have those baffles, hate them. But I wish the stove door could be open without a concern about smoke spillage, like my old Silver Dollar Saver in the garage - you can open the door and smoke in front of it if you want, it sucks!

By watching my manometer, I have too much draft now, but still the same smoke spillage issues. I wonder if a 7" SS liner would have the same issue - I kind of doubt it. Being a tall interior chimney, I'm sure it would still draft great.

I really need to get that variable speed blower mod done soon.

14. laynes69

laynes69
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 2, 2006
    Loc:
    Ashland OH
    Same with the Caddy, I rake forward and load.

15. Wood1Dennis

Wood1Dennis
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 17, 2016
    Loc:
    Eastern Wisconsin
    Wannabe, I know this doesn't go directly to your question about the Tundra, but my Caddy is a really nice furnace that I am happy with. I made a small simple mod to the damper so I could gain more control over the primary combustion air but that's it. Just like the Tundras, the heat exchanger clean out is a breeze with the hinged panel in the front.
    Good Luck!