Everything Drolet Tundra - Heatmax...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
One thing i would do before ordering a Tundra would be call up where you are going to buy it and have them confirm the Build date and serial number of the unit you will be receiving. If they will not do so i would explain to them why you are requesting the information and see if they will comply. If they say it comes direct from manufacture still have them confirm. In the US SBI has a facility that stores the Tundras ( In IL i think ) and all units ship from there. That is where mine came from and was still old stock. Just trying to save you a headache.
Ya as far as I know it says they order in, says not available in store. What build date and beyond is good???

Last edited:
I sent sbi an email to ask if they'd be shipping out a later build date with the issues resolved? Wondering if anyone out there already has a good contact at sbi and could get the answer for me asap. The sale is only on for a few days so I'd like to find out before it's over.

Called tsc they said it will be a current one from the manufacturer so I guess it's up to sbi to send me good product! However I emailed sbi through their website and drolets site and it got bounced back as undeliverable.

Also in wondering what advantage does the add on wall thermostat have or is it necessary? I am ordering the cold air return kit and was wondering if I should splurge on the thermostat too? I can post pictures of my current hotblast setup which will be identical to how I hook up the heatmax
Thanks again for all the help

Also in wondering what advantage does the add on wall thermostat have or is it necessary? I am ordering the cold air return kit and was wondering if I should splurge on the thermostat too? I can post pictures of my current hotblast setup which will be identical to how I hook up the heatmax
Thanks again for all the help
Just pick up a simple heat t-stat at the hardware store about $20-$40 or order from eBay/Amazon for even cheaper

As far as build date mine is 12/2014 and I have issues I would want something mid 2015 the later the better.

I also called sbi and spoke with someone before purchase to make sure I was getting a unit that had problems resolved , they said yes, NOT mine cracked so contacting them doesn't really help from what I can tell. I again would call TSC and tell them to contact there purchaser/supplier and confirm which date you will get. Easier to do it now, believe me I am talking from experience.

I am ordering the cold air return kit
I wouldn't do that, contact a local HVAC fab shop/contractor (if you have one) and have them make a box/ filter setup for you. You'll also want 2 blank pieces of sheet metal to cover up the two sides you won't be using. If not your stuck with ordering from tsc I guess. Was under $100 total for me and that included a larger return plenum.

image.jpeg
What does the thermostat even do? My hotblast doesn't have one just a simple snap disk. The return kit with filter is only $70 so I'll probably just go oem on that to make it easier as that's how my hotblast is setup but I built that fan and filter box myself.

View attachment 174588 What does the thermostat even do? My hotblast doesn't have one just a simple snap disk. The return kit with filter is only $70 so I'll probably just go oem on that to make it easier as that's how my hotblast is setup but I built that fan and filter box myself.
The tstat basically controls the damper. Opens damper when tstat calls for heat and closes it when not calling to heat. I am glad I added one because I have the tundra located in the basement and it allows me to control it from upstairs. You should have a pretty easy change over from hotblast to the tundra. What size return do you have? I hope that's at least 12" round. You still going to need to fab something to tie to the tsc provided cold air return I would have fab shop make it all in one piece for you. Just giving you ideas.

Yes it's 12" round. What is the inlet size on the cold air return kit. We have a wicked hvac supply place that has every adapter known to man. Square to round etc. when I install should I change the 8"s to side to side or leave it front to back? I read side to side is preferred in the install manual. On a plus note just ordered says it'll be at my local store in 2-3 weeks. I don't plan on doing the install until the summer as I have a couple repairs to make to my improperly professionally installed chimney liner. As well do you see any problem me using a 5.5" liner. My hotblast has had no issues with this.

Should be 15x20 to your 12" round. In my experience the front and left side hole are the hottest. I currently have side by side.I wouldn't use the rear hole as that is the coldest. I would confirm with SBI that one front and one side could be used. I don't see a real issue with your liner. Calls for 6" but sometimes you have to make due with what you have. I would remove that sharp 90 you have at the top of you chimney looks like you may be able to get away with 2- 45* total.

Should be 15x20 to your 12" round. In my experience the front and left side hole are the hottest. I currently have side by side.I wouldn't use the rear hole as that is the coldest. I would confirm with SBI that one front and one side could be used. I don't see a real issue with your liner. Calls for 6" but sometimes you have to make due with what you have. I would remove that sharp 90 you have at the top of you chimney looks like you may be able to get away with 2- 45* total.
It would have to be 1 90 and 1 45. Already thought about doing that

I would confirm with SBI that one front and one side could be used.

IIRC my manual says that's not approved. I'd believe them on that one; heat seems too lopsided otherwise, just my opinion.

I got my thermostat for $5 from Menards. Heat only, very simple digital. I don't use it much, probably wouldn't run the wire and holes in the wall if I could redo. The tstat doesn't know if my furnace is getting too hot, so it will if I hadn't put in overtemp protection. As shown in post #1132 (page 46), I use the timer to start loads and the "burn coals" switch to burn coals if it's cold out. About the only thing I use my tstat for is to set it at a temp I think the house will hit a few hours before I wake up to finish the coals. And I could use the "burn coals" switch for that anyways. That's just how I operate it; others have different habits just as well.

I don't think I will bother with the tsat I will just get used to how she runs. Can't be as finicky at the hotblast, that thing took me a while to figure out just right!

I wouldn't do that, contact a local HVAC fab shop/contractor (if you have one) and have them make a box/ filter setup for you. You'll also want 2 blank pieces of sheet metal to cover up the two sides you won't be using. If not your stuck with ordering from tsc I guess. Was under $100 total for me and that included a larger return plenum.
I built my cold air return for about 10$ and some duct tape. lol. my fan box had to be shoved into a corner at a 45 so a custom build was required. I just took a few pieces of cheap sheet metal and scrap sheet metal I had cut and formed and duct taped it all together. no filter here. my filter is at the return in the house.

May want to look at your CTC with your flue pipe.
my clearances are fine thank you, my install was fully certified. Angle of photo is misleading. That's double wall stove pipe and my clearance is well above the required 6".

Last edited:
I don't think it's passing judgement. It's just a heads up on what looks like a possible issue from a picture. If it's not an issue, that's fine - but it does look close in the pic. There has been pics of all kinds of wrong stuff posted at times on here, letting someone know of a possible issue before it really becomes one is a good thing, I think.

I don't think it's passing judgement. It's just a heads up on what looks like a possible issue from a picture. If it's not an issue, that's fine - but it does look close in the pic. There has been pics of all kinds of wrong stuff posted at times on here, letting someone know of a possible issue before it really becomes one is a good thing, I think.
Agreed I edited my post was just a little grumpy waking up this morn. the heating with wood in my house is not something I will ever get complacent about!

my clearances are fine thank you, my install was fully certified. Angle of photo is misleading. That's double wall stove pipe and my clearance is well above the required 6".

That's great, yes in the pic it looks very close and the size of the pipe did not look to be double wall. Yes, way to many pics on here the last year or so with bad/wrong set ups. The do it yourself wood furnace market seems to be getting more dangerous, everyone is a professional now with the internet.

Reactions: jb6l6gc
The do it yourself wood furnace market seems to be getting more dangerous, everyone is a professional now with the internet.
Wait what??:oops::oops: I am a fully certified u tube board approved heart surgeon. Just can't seem to find my first patient.:confused::confused:

Reactions: STIHLY DAN
On a plus note just ordered says it'll be at my local store in 2-3 weeks.
Sounds like you have plenty of time. Before taking delivery from the store look at the front face. If the front is welded like I show in post #1179 just refuse it and have them get another one. I am sure you are excited with getting the tundra just make sure you get the new version or you may be disappointed with it. I think it will be the best furnace you can get dollar for dollar now that issues sound like they have been resolved. Also SBI has great customer service so you can rest assured that you will be taken care of in the future.

On another note, does anyone know what happened to the individual that said SBI was requiring him to get an onsite welder? I wonder how everything played out for him and his situation. I don't remember hearing the end result.

Brenn you still around or did you head to the Caribbean to stay warm?

Brenn you still around or did you head to the Caribbean to stay warm?
Yo, reporting fo duty SIR! Whassup? ::-) Nah, I'm here...no vacas for me this time of year...too many water line breaks at work.
I've been playing with getting my new blower motor speed control set up...I'll report on it here shortly.
Carry on...

agreed. Def best furnace for the $. umm yes the newer units appear solid. I have had one in for about a week and everything seems fine. I made a few additions to help protect things a bit more, u can look back a few posts and see it all. If your looking to ensure the new model there will be a few features. The snap discs should be located on top so you will see a galvanized wire chase on the top of the stove containing the snap discs. Thats a big clue, 2nd there will be a plate bolted on over the HE and not welded as mentioned. As well there should be firebricks up the sides of the loading door. Look for serial numbers above 1500 I am sure you be pretty safe their. The newer model is a killer stove. Got a little creosote this morning but I had the stove tweeked down as tight as I could get her and the insert in the house cause the therm not to call for heat till the middle of the night. whoops. need to open the damper just a touch sooner with the temp controller. just a small pile below flu output on back. I always leave the bottom screw out w a pan under it because I have done this before. lol. Once wood was to wet and house was too warm with no temp controller. now I just need to bump the temp controller up a touch on the low end.

Sounds like you have plenty of time. Before taking delivery from the store look at the front face. If the front is welded like I show in post #1179 just refuse it and have them get another one. I am sure you are excited with getting the tundra just make sure you get the new version or you may be disappointed with it. I think it will be the best furnace you can get dollar for dollar now that issues sound like they have been resolved. Also SBI has great customer service so you can rest assured that you will be taken care of in the future.