Eviro Ef3 Vent rod problem/NO Vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

karayj

Jun 5, 2008
Franklin
I have a hard time closing the vent all the way seems bent or warped.
One other issue is no change to the flame when it is open or closed. The pot fills up fast after 2 hours and I have to open the clean out vent (round the size of a half dollar ) to get good ventilation. I did a clean out last year towards the end of the year because of this but i still seem poor. Did I miss something. Empty the Flue /took the backing off/took off the half dollar round things....HELP!!!

When was the last time the stove was taken apart and cleaned ?
Sounds like the passage way between the fire box and combustion fan is plugged

Reactions: bostonfan49
Def not clean back behind the steel frame inside?? Or the exh blower and exh pipe is clogged. How about the baffle plate in the top (covers the air tubes)? The exh slider being sticky is a known thing about Enviros- I've even had to loosen the interior housing to get it to move and clean it. You have a workhorse there, prob just a cleaning issue. Good luck with her.

So I figure out my vent problem >>>THE ASH TRAY GASKET !!!! do I re-glued it but now LOLOLO i have an over venting problem ... superfast flame too fa fast now. The vent door is closed , I confirmed that so now what any ideas ???? The glass no loger get black the as pot is nover filled with any ash but the flame is too small because of the over venting

karayj, I may be off here, but.....
If you could post a half dozen pics of your stoves inside (Not Running) pics of your burn pot, entire combustion area..
your combustion and convection fans....
It sounds like you have a combination of dirty and plugged issues going on. I think that there are folks here who can really help you, but in this case, we need to visually see what might be going on. Good luck, Bill

This stove has been to dirty for to long. Take out the 5/16ths bolts and remove the back firebox plate. This will give you access to cleaning it. Take off the left side cover and loosen the top and bottom nuts that hold the blower housing to the combustion chamber. Then reach across and loosen the top nut on the other side. Take a thin screwdriver and lightly separate the housing. This should allow you to pull the damper rod out. Lightly lubricate the draft door and work it back and forth and wipe the creosote off off the door. This may take a while. After you get it freed up just snug the nuts up. I'm also guessing your exhaust is dirty. The proper air setting for the draft should be a little over half way in depending what the flame looks like. I would originally pull the rod out all the way and run the stove on high and burn the sticky mess off. What pellets have you been using? I had one like that today. The owner came in saying what a piece of crap the stove was. Three hours later it was running great. For three years he thought a good cleaning was vacuuming the burn pot.

First thing to do is clean the stove .Remove 2 round clean out ports . Remove fake steel brick panel
5 screws . Yes it can be a groan to take out . Remove 3 steel panels behind fake brick 1 screw. You will find
a crap load of ash behind those panels also a blanket of insulation if good reuse if not replace .
There are 2 rectangle holes that lead to the air gate Vac all ash from them make sure you get it all
Move gate back and forth to loosen any compacted ash . Remove 2 screws left side panel
swing door open remove combustion fan you will need a new gasket clean fan clean fan box
and path ways both directions . Reassemble in reverse order Start your stove and see what a
different there is
Note until you do a full cleaning all the advice in this forum is not going to solve your problem

Ok update So now after a good cleaning I have too much venting and the damper bar make no change in or out. The bar also gets stuck when trying to insert in all the way in as if its warped. So today I notice the 2 tubes in the ash pot one for ignition the other for venting??? Should the vent bar be cutting off flow to the lager tube in the ash pot area ? when I close the vent bar I can as a test that there is not closure, I can put a stink into the tube 2 feet long and open and close the vent bar and nothing happens .. I put a flash light in the same hole and can see the light in the back of the fireplace regardless of me sliding the vent bar forward or backwards ....what is the task of the bar asn the larger tube ?? Cut off air? because with y test it is not so did the bar fall off ta track I so puzzled

you take your panel back off and look at the vent plate? pics would help

Last edited:
The sliding plate is between the fire box outlet and the combustion fan
The 2 pipes behind the ash pot as you call it (burn pot) are for air inlet from outside
( it is where your OAK attaches ) the other is where your igniter is mounted
Did you remove the combustion motor and clean the passages ? Have to open left side panel
to get at it .
Do you have an owners manual if not here is one (read it )
OAK = outside air kit
http://enviro.com/custom_content/docs/manuals/C-11222 Instruction EF3 Domestic Owners Manual.pdf

Thank you Johnen that makes sense ... What now I had to figure out why I'm getting too much venting and clean that motor..... I will also be able to see why the slider gets stiff aka stuck the last 3 inches of closing it and seems warped when closing the vent bar.. lets see what happens over next the weekend should be easy /// what is strange is when I cover the in outside air intake I get a good flame no more over vented I with problem . I cover it aka blocked it with foil paper LOL and I have a good flame all day. I would hate to do all that work to take out the combustion motor for the same result over venting .......to much air on the ash pot causing a fast low heat flame . Get the screws off and the gasket is a nightmare ///

Last edited:
Tin foil on the intake, your restricting the air flow in the burn pot, pull that motor clean it up straighten out your damper plate and clean it probably full of ash n soot. Reassemble and i bet its good to go

Repair it right the first time ! blocking off the air entrance will lead to other problems
such as a hopper fire because the fire will search for easy air and that is the pellet feed
outlet shoot .

I wlil get rid of the foil promise my is that I'm getting tooooooo much oxygen so cleaning wont help me . I seem like it would be clean already since I'm getting to much. the question is why ,,,,If the combustion fan was clogged I would not be getting enough.....

I wlil get rid of the foil promise my is that I'm getting tooooooo much oxygen so cleaning wont help me . I seem like it would be clean already since I'm getting to much. the question is why ,,,,If the combustion fan was clogged I would not be getting enough.....

your getting to much air because your damper slide is either bent, rusted,broken or and object is not allowing you to close it all the way. at least verify it it is ok and clean

This stove has been to dirty for to long. Take out the 5/16ths bolts and remove the back firebox plate. This will give you access to cleaning it. Take off the left side cover and loosen the top and bottom nuts that hold the blower housing to the combustion chamber. Then reach across and loosen the top nut on the other side. Take a thin screwdriver and lightly separate the housing. This should allow you to pull the damper rod out. Lightly lubricate the draft door and work it back and forth and wipe the creosote off off the door. This may take a while. After you get it freed up just snug the nuts up. I'm also guessing your exhaust is dirty. The proper air setting for the draft should be a little over half way in depending what the flame looks like. I would originally pull the rod out all the way and run the stove on high and burn the sticky mess off. What pellets have you been using? I had one like that today. The owner came in saying what a piece of crap the stove was. Three hours later it was running great. For three years he thought a good cleaning was vacuuming the burn pot.
[/QUO
I have finally decided to attack this / I do clean it fully each year/ I use barefoot pellets since day one