Excavator coming, pex and foam not here, any ideas ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trehugr

Dec 16, 2007
Greenwood, Maine
Weds, the excavator will be here to 1) finish the ditch, 2) dig out the area for the slab 3) dump gravel for the slab.

The question is how do I bring the pex up into the area of concrete when the exc will be there for only a day ? Ill be using the foam in ditch method, so if I want the pipe to come up where planned, it will be about 8' from the edge of the slab. Should I have him dig the trench, then fill it back in and dig it back out by hand when the pex and foam get here ? I was thinking of using a piece of 10" flex plastic culvert (drain pipe) to come up where I need it to in the slab then to the edge of the slab where the ditch is. Hopefully figuring out a way to get the pex and foam through that stretch of pipe. Or do I just come into the shed at the edge of the slab through the wall ? Any ideas ?

I would try either method except the 10" flexible pipe. I can't think of a good way to slide pex that has been sprayed first, into a 10" pipe. If you have him dig the trench and then refill it without packing it down, it shouldn't be to difficult to hand dig it up as it should be under the finished slab and won't have to be that deep. Just re-dig the dirt and spray the whole length of pipe and you won't have to worry about it ever again.

Good, cause I didn't want to give the operator the horrors with the typical homeowner requests. As it is the wife wants him to dig up a place for another flower bed....

after he tamps in the slab have him dig the ditch in the stone with his machine,leaving it to the side then all you have to do is backfill the dich with a shovel. why would you want to dig stone by hand ?. It will only take him a couple minutes and I asume you are paying him for the day.I did The same thing with my barn.

Status
Not open for further replies.