Excel 2200 - C-3 Circulator wiring/rewiring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SeymourDumore

Nov 25, 2018
New Hartford - CT
Gentlemen, I have a question regarding wiring of the C-3 circulator.

I have a 2200 with the 800 gal. storage tank, and my system is wired and plumbed according to
the supplied schematics for zone valves + storage tank.

Now, normally, in the winter I use wood to heat the system in the "auto-backup" mode.

In the summer however we pretty much just stay with the "backup-only" and use the oil burner.
The storage tank is completely valved-off on both sides ( supply and return ), and in the summer the
valves are shut off, nothing is going through the tank.
Also, I've installed a bypass switch on terminals 1-2-3 ( B1-ZR-L1) to mimic a "no-storage-tank" condition.

Problem: In the summer with the "backup-only" mode, the C-3 circulator is constantly running.
It is connected as-per the schematics, between the CN-C3 terminals, while my main heat circulator ( C-1)
is between the CN-C1 terminals.

Issue: I'd like it to not run continuously, rather it should behave exactly like if there was no storage tank, period.
With no storage tank, the C-3 circulator is connected to CN-C1, and C1 circulator does not exist.

Question: Can I install a second " bypass" switch that will parallel C1 to C3?

Basically if I'm in the "backup-only" mode with storage tank disconnected:
No zones are calling for heat = there is no circulation, C1 and C3 is OFF.
With any zones calling for heat = both C1 and C3 turns ON and work in series to supply circulation.

Thank You