Excess ash build up between 2 identicle stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hooter04

Feeling the Heat
Dec 5, 2010
Upstate NY
I have 2 MT Vernon AE stoves 1 is 07 and the other is 09.The 09 stove builds up a lot more ash than the other stove,Here is the difference, the 07 is vented horizontal the 09 is vented directly out,could this make a difference on the amount of ash between the 2?

Directly out? Or directly up?

directly out possibly a difference in the amount of draft

So both stoves go straight out the wall. Yes length of the vent pipe could make a diff in ash content. No 2 stoves will act or burn exactly alike. Very close but not exactly

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
Vertical,gravity affects it,Amount of stovepipe,esp. outside affects it-pipe cools down.Slight differences in stoves,and settings affect it.

Reactions: Ssyko
yes I believe I get better draft with vertical run,also that stove is on the prevailing wind side of house.

Ok im confused. You have one stove with horozontal and one vertical exhaust?i thought they were both horozontal.​

No 1 vents vertical the other vents horizontal