Q&A excessive soot on LP gas logs -and smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have 2 sets of gas logs installed in masonry fireplaces. We have propane heat in our home. Both sets of logs seem to get excessively 'sooty" and at times you can even smell the fumes. Sometimes we turn them off because of the fumes. I have searched you pages here and saw a lot of interesting Q&A but nothing addressing this one. What can I check?

Answer:

LP does make a lot more soot than natural gas. It's not the soot that worries me- as much as the smell. If you can smell it means your chimney is not drafting upwards. This is a chimney problem- not the fault of the logs.There are many potential causes of poor draft- and just as many solutions. Check out our articles on chimneys at the info link below.

Status
Not open for further replies.