Exhaust and Room Blower issue comparision

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marster

Jan 13, 2008
S. Central Pa
Have a simple, maybe even silly question. There're alot of issues with Breckwells convection blower to the point where Breckwell came out with a replacement blower.

Excuse my ingorance, but if they're having problems with the convection blower, why not the exhaust blower as well??

Also, if other stoves use the same blower why isnt there more issues from different stove owners? The dealer told me alot of stoves use the same blower Breckwell replaced.

Maybe just thinking too much..............

Thanks!

LOL! If you get this one figured out please, let me know! I have an old Breckwell and while the combustion blower is great the room blower is weak. Just not much air coming out of the front. It's hard to tell if there is any change from low to high on the fan switch. I bought it used so I'm not sure but I suspect that it's the original blower.

Personally, I'm still trying to figure out how a combustion blower can be so quiet and a room blower can make so much noise! When I start my stove from cold I have to lean over it to tell whether or not the combustion blower is working but when the room blower comes on you can hear it from almost anywhere in the house. te he

Combustion blowers:
are about standard across most manufactures.
some use C frame type motors and some use Shaded pole motor but the housings are the same. (some are Mirrored/flipped)
the Fan blades can be different pitch and size for each stove.

Room air/convection blowers:
are a different animal.
Each stove has to move just the right amount of air through the heat exchange tubes.
Some stoves have Many heat exchange tubes
some are round some are rectangle
some have 2 rows and some don't have any for they use heat sink fins.

If you move too much air the heat exchange will be cold
To little they will over heat and you will loose heat out the venting.

Velocity and CFM are what the designers have to find the correct mix.

Room air blowers are always going to make some noise you just dont want rattle noise.
for you have the RUSHING air noise coming into the house through the heat exchange.
Just like a DESK fan is not whisper quiet if you want it to move air.

Some manufuactures use a low RPM motor with a large blower wheel
some use a HIGH RPM with a small blower wheel.

Breckwell is trying different blowers to get past this over heating issue with the larger stoves.
the new blower has a smaller Blower wheel but higher RPM motor.
Breckwell Told me Fasco is the one who tells them what blowers will work and they cant find the correct combo.
but they are testing blowers.

hearthtools said:
Combustion blowers:
are about standard across most manufactures.
some use C frame type motors and some use Shaded pole motor but the housings are the same. (some are Mirrored/flipped)
the Fan blades can be different pitch and size for each stove.

Room air/convection blowers:
are a different animal.
Each stove has to move just the right amount of air through the heat exchange tubes.
Some stoves have Many heat exchange tubes
some are round some are rectangle
some have 2 rows and some don't have any for they use heat sink fins.

If you move too much air the heat exchange will be cold
To little they will over heat and you will loose heat out the venting.

Velocity and CFM are what the designers have to find the correct mix.

Room air blowers are always going to make some noise you just dont want rattle noise.
for you have the RUSHING air noise coming into the house through the heat exchange.
Just like a DESK fan is not whisper quiet if you want it to move air.

Some manufuactures use a low RPM motor with a large blower wheel
some use a HIGH RPM with a small blower wheel.

Breckwell is trying different blowers to get past this over heating issue with the larger stoves.
the new blower has a smaller Blower wheel but higher RPM motor.
Breckwell Told me Fasco is the one who tells them what blowers will work and they cant find the correct combo.
but they are testing blowers.

Thanks for the explaination on the difference with the blowers. I have the replacement blower for the convection blower. This was part of the sale that they give me the replacement blower.

Have you heard or seen any issues with the replacement blowers yet?

I have the P23FS Breckwell. The stove is a gem. It has exceeded my expectations of what I thought it would do. Very pleased. Just for the life of me, I couldnt understand why just Breckwell had blower issues if multiple stoves used the same blower........as well as why the exhaust blower wasnt effected. Thanks again for explaining!

Marster

Status
Not open for further replies.