Exhaust fan not working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wheeloftime

Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
I have a king pellet stove model 5502m. I have contacted king, ran through the diagnostics. They weren't much help. The exhaust fan did not function on the test. But I made a jumper wire, plugged into a 110 and all motors operate. They are saying either fan or board how do I narrow it down?

If your fan operated on 110 VAC direct, then to me, that screams control board.

Eric

Do you get an error code?
Did you check the fuses on the board?

how do I narrow it down?
You have narrowed it down by direct wiring the blower. Other then the board itself the only things to check are the fuse, fuse holder(sometimes the stretch and don't make good connection) and the wire from exhaust blower to board. The white wire goes from exhaust blower with 3 other connections/splits to pin 2 on the molex plug, the black wire on exhaust blower changes to orange wire and goes to pin 10 on molex plug. If you trace white wire from the back of the power plug the first split goes to the board the second split goes to the room blower and the third split goes to the exhaust blower any one of these connections could be bad.

1665068717299.png

If you end up needing control board USSC uses the board in many stoves they just program them different and you can not use a control board for a 6041 in a 5502 so make sure you get the right one 80778. Also shop around USSC $529 other places as low as $169. You can also get board rehabbed for around $150. If it is the board it is most likely a bad Triac they act like a on/off switch if you are handy soldering or know someone who is they can be replaced.

triac.jpg

Last edited:
If you end up needing control board USSC uses the board in many stoves they just program them different and you can not use a control board for a 6041 in a 5502 so make sure you get the right one 80778. Also shop around USSC $529 other places as low as $169. You can also get board rehabbed for around $150. If it is the board it is most likely a bad Triac they act like a on/off switch if you are handy soldering or know someone who is they can be replaced.

View attachment 300048
I bought a new control board. Same issue. No fault codes. Starts for a few seconds, augur, shuts down. Just flashes draft.. It's outside. No pipes connected. I'm at a loss.

Have taken the blower off to check for damage. Wires traced back to board. All look good. No cracks no breaks.
I bought a new control board. Same issue. No fault codes. Starts for a few seconds, augur, shuts down. Just flashes draft.. It's outside. No pipes connected. I'm at a loss.

Glad to hear it's working now!
On the bright side, if you can't return the board, at least you'll have a spare for in case it's needed in the dead of winter. I don't have a spare board, but I like having things like spare motors that I cleaned replaced the bearings on. I also bought a spare auger motor for my Harman, just because I had history of replacing them on my old Englander several times over the years and hate running my oil heat while waiting for parts.

Glad to hear it's working now!
On the bright side, if you can't return the board, at least you'll have a spare for in case it's needed in the dead of winter. I don't have a spare board, but I like having things like spare motors that I cleaned replaced the bearings on. I also bought a spare auger motor for my Harman, just because I had history of replacing them on my old Englander several times over the years and hate running my oil heat while waiting for parts.
Agree, good to have spares on hand. I have one of each motor, igniter, both boards, and snap discs. I also picked up a used stove for cheap a couple years ago, for any large parts. Any time spent waiting for parts is too much. Also if I have to swap parts to diagnose, I’ve already got them.