Exhaust flue height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If my house has a # 2 diesel burning boiler, its exhaust stack is at the top of the house with a surrounding stainless or galvanized sheet metal cap, can I run my woodstove flue equal in height to that?

I've always heard to run the woodstove at least 3 or 4 feet higher than anything on top of the house. Everything that is up there is already stainless or galvanized. So...looking for feedback.

thanks

jj3500 said:
If my house has a # 2 diesel burning boiler, its exhaust stack is at the top of the house with a surrounding stainless or galvanized sheet metal cap, can I run my woodstove flue equal in height to that?

I've always heard to run the woodstove at least 3 or 4 feet higher than anything on top of the house. Everything that is up there is already stainless or galvanized. So...looking for feedback.

thanks

My code says that it shall be two feet above the roof peak but in your case you have another vent on the same roof. I would say if it's right beside it to offset them a foot, the wood being higher. If it's more than a few feet away just stick to the two feet above the roof peak.

Far as I know, they don't count chimneys, stink pipes, TV antennas and other minor extrusions from a roof when figuring stack height. I'd agree with the previous post, if you are close to the other stuff match the height or go a bit above it, and otherwise stick with the usual 3 / 2 / 10 rule (3 feet above peak or 2 feet above anything w/in 10' of roof penetration...)

Gooserider

i wound up putting about one foot higher than the boiler exhaust. totally by accident. I was up on a 40' ladder and working with both hands. Worst feeling in the world. I had to lean off the ladder to reach the strap anchor...boy did that suck!

Status
Not open for further replies.