Exhaust help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Seagrave6

Mar 20, 2017
Washington DC
Hi! I am new here but have been reading threads for a while now, I recently purchased a, Federal Air Tight stove model # Fa264ccl. I am in the middle of getting it ready to for my living room to be installed front.of a prexiisting fireplace. My stove exhaust pipe points straight up, I would like to have the stove sit out in front of the chimney opening far enough that I can use the side door to load and mount the blower on the side. My question is if I start from the top of the stove with an 45 degree elbow will this hurt the stoves performance?
Thanks in advances for any ideas!

I guess it will depend upon how good your draft is. Every time you make the smoke go around a corner, it slows down. And when it slows down, it cools and creosote forms. You'll also need to run a flue pipe up and out of the chimney. You can't just dump flue gasses into a chimney even if it has a tile liner and block-off plate at the damper. If you do, you are just asking for a huge creosote build-up.

Thanks for the reply, and yes I have purchased a 35' double hall exhaust pipe to run up the chimney and I have a cap seems like I will be cutting the damper opening to make room for the pipe. I think I am going to try a flex pipe from the damper plate to the stove to try to eliminate the hard bends.

Thanks for the reply, and yes I have purchased a 35' double hall exhaust pipe to run up the chimney and I have a cap seems like I will be cutting the damper opening to make room for the pipe. I think I am going to try a flex pipe from the damper plate to the stove to try to eliminate the hard bends.
What do you mean by double wall exhaust pipe? Is it a liner or stove pipe? We would just use flex the whole way infact we just did a liner for a federal airtight today in a fireplace all heavy wall flex liner.

Sorry about the confusion, I have a double wall stove pipe, and 35' of stainless steel liner and it is flexible,
I purchased the kit from someone for 100.00.

Ok good that should be appropriate but you should get an insulation kit for the liner